Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 inches of snow + mustang = ;-;

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Riceistasty

Default RE: 10 inches of snow + mustang = ;-;

it snowed here in ar too. i took the car out and made some vids, ill post it after i edit it. my stock tires are almost bald and it did fine. other than when i got stuck in my driveway AFTER i got back from driving...figures. it was on a hill though.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

i had 280 lbs in my trunk lol and i was doin alright....i don't have anything in there now, but i have a new job so i only drive like 4 miles in town to work...so yay ontop of having my ride back to lookin like it's off the showroom,no more fillin up 2+ times a week.......

and what is this traction control you speak of? you have a mustang lol my car's from AZ so i'm pretty sure it wasn't needed...but i was down there during monsoon season once...that was nuts

PS I'm in IA, so i feel your pain...negative 20 bull crap...highs in the single digits...[:@]
[/align]
Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 AM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

we got dumped on this last week, 15" in a mater of three days. i dont have the traction control or snow tires, just four 45lb plates in the trunk and i do just fine. i still slide in some turns, but nothing that isnt controlable.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Hey Devil, Im around the Kankakee area and I know what you mean about the 10 inches of snow. I still wont take my car out of the garage during the winter if they even predict snow. For now I just go out to the garage and gaiz at it everyday until it begins to get warmer. Just think we have more then a month more of this crap to look forward to.
Did you drive in that crap this past Wednesday when we had the 40+ mph winds at night?
I was on my way to work and couldnt see 5 feet past my bumper, nearly had a head on collision, couldnt see the road at all so turned around and went back home. And I was driving my wifes all wheel drive Edge. I dont want to experiance that anymore.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Devil Wolf

im in chicgao and i cant even make it out of my driveway. this is my first winter with my stang...i think ill be picking up a used wrangler next year for my winter driving.
I also live in chicago but i have another car for our winters. But as i recall last year here in chicago we didnt get this much snow. This year we get a huge storm once a week atleast.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

You got that right, My wife keeps telling me we got this bad winter because I bought the new GT, I sold my brother inlaw my 05 F150 4x4to buy it, and just like after you wash your car it rains, I get a new GT and it snows like crazy, kind of makes me wish I still had that 4x4 but coant turn back now, I love this car to much
Old 02-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

I was working up in Aspen,CO for the last month.It must must have snowed every day at least 4 inches.The last week it snowed 10 to 12 every other day.The sking is awesome but it even hampered some of competitors running the pipe at the Winter X Games.
I drive an 06' Freestyle AWD and after coming back to Denver for the weekends I never lost traction once going over Vail and the tunnel passes when it was snowing like a beeitch.
I'm hoping the Pacific fronts slow down and give our Calfornia citizens a break.One small town,Silverton,Co has had over 6 feet of the fluff and they are running out of room to dump it.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tormentor

You got that right, My wife keeps telling me we got this bad winter because I bought the new GT, I sold my brother inlaw my 05 F150 4x4to buy it, and just like after you wash your car it rains, I get a new GT and it snows like crazy, kind of makes me wish I still had that 4x4 but coant turn back now, I love this car to much
Its not your fault...if your wife had purchased a Mustang GT for herself this snow wouldn't be a problem.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 AM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

It took one winter of "attempting" to drive in the snow w/ the Mustang before I bought a cheap Wrangler!! lol I'm not saying the Mustang is terrible in the snow, it's just I didn't give it much chance. I had a couple sandbags in the back, but I just didn't want to take the risk of damaging it. It's nice to park it inside for the winter...no ice, gravel, huge potholes that seem to appear after everything melts, accumulating miles...Granted winter tires are a lot cheaper alternative than buying an extra vehicle but I have absolutely zero regrets. If you can afford it, I definitely recommend it.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMoose

ORIGINAL: BWfVA

WellI have high proformace tires and I have drove in 3-4 inches without any wieght in the back, I have always had good luck with the stang in the snow (knock, Knock) anyway as long as you drive slower and sane and stay even on the throtle then you should be fine. I have had a truck in and the stang does better than the truck did
+1. I've driven in the snow several times here in denver( during a snowstorm the other night as well 3inches), just takes a while to get moving and keep your speed low, traction control really helps. And I always take turns in the outside lane because the back end really likes to slide. I'm running pirelli all season tires with no weight in the back, only got stuck one time on the hill up to my house and that was because the road was solid ice.

You boys don't get much of a winter down there, so it may not be feasable to own a set of dedicated snow tires, but I would still put some weight in the back.

Quick Reply: 10 inches of snow + mustang = ;-;