Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C not very cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default A/C not very cold

Summer just hit here in Atlanta and daily temps are around 90'.

I noticed in traffic today, when I am running my A/C it doesn't seem very cold at all, its hardly cooling the car. I definitely remember when the car was new (2007) that it blew very cold air.

Any ideas about that? I changed my coolant 6 months ago, and I think my ratio may have been a little off. I think I could have used as much as 60% - 70% antifreeze to water. Could this be the issue? Just trying to think of everything.

THANKS
Old 06-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

coolant won't have anything to do with it,
Turn on your ac and see if the fans are on. they should come on within a few minutes.

If they don't come on, theres your problem.

Also, look at the AC compressor, the pulley spins separate from the clutch. See if the clutch is engaging at all.
If its NOT engaging, check for power/ground. No power, Check fuses or pressure switch

If you do have power it could be a bad compressor.

If the clutch is engaging on/off very fast, it could be low refrigerant.
The ac compressor clutch will not engage if the refrigerant is too low.

Check for oily spots on your ac condenser, quite often, a rock will puncture it and you'll loose all your refrigerant,

Best thing to do is to take it to a shop (independent/trusted of course) that does AC. have them evacuate it and recharge it. that will tell you how much was in there.

If you need help troubleshooting, keep the questions coming. I specialize in AC systems
i can go into detail about any of the things i said above if you need help.

-Chris
Old 06-17-2014, 02:20 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Does the compressor kick on and off quickly? If it does, then you are low on freon. Mines been leaking at one of the quick connect fittings for years. I rarely use my a/c, don't sit in traffic and work in a freezer all day.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Last summer mine was blowing hot air on a 100+ day. Wouldn't get cold. I also hadn't used it in several months. Went home. Let the car sit and started it the next day. It worked fine and has worked fine after that. Don't panic yet.

It seems if I don't use it for a while it takes a little assistance to get working properly.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:38 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Been having the same issue in my 2012 lately. We've had a few 100+ days and I'd get nothing but hot air blowing. Lately it hasnt been TOO bad, upper 80's, low 90's so it's bearable. Hoping it's just low on refrigerant and not a leak or something. Keep us posted if you find a solution.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:43 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

make sure its not overcharged as well. you can get a cheap gage from the local parts store that you attach to the low side port. only read the gage when the ac compressor is running or you will overcharge system. the ac being not very cold and not working are 2 different problems. mine is kinda cold and gets colder with the rpms and speed im driving. on a side note, turn your defrost on and see if the ac compressor comes on. it should as to remove humidity from cab.

Last edited by bl817; 06-17-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

My '06 wasn't getting very cold (100K miles) last year. I just bought one of those 134A kits, put in 1 can and it's nice & cold now. Easy Peasy. Just read the directions. Be sure to get a kit with a gauge.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

If you are sitting on the highway in traffic, the engine isnt getting any quality air at all. In fact, the only air it is getting is probably well over 100 degrees due to the highway and all the other cars on the road. As traffic begins to unwind you should feel the A/C begin to get colder. Drive your car on an empty road and see if you still have the same problem.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
coolant won't have anything to do with it,
Turn on your ac and see if the fans are on. they should come on within a few minutes.

If they don't come on, theres your problem.

Also, look at the AC compressor, the pulley spins separate from the clutch. See if the clutch is engaging at all.
If its NOT engaging, check for power/ground. No power, Check fuses or pressure switch

If you do have power it could be a bad compressor.

If the clutch is engaging on/off very fast, it could be low refrigerant.
The ac compressor clutch will not engage if the refrigerant is too low.

Check for oily spots on your ac condenser, quite often, a rock will puncture it and you'll loose all your refrigerant,

Best thing to do is to take it to a shop (independent/trusted of course) that does AC. have them evacuate it and recharge it. that will tell you how much was in there.

If you need help troubleshooting, keep the questions coming. I specialize in AC systems
i can go into detail about any of the things i said above if you need help.

-Chris
Wow, thanks for the information Chris! But I have no idea what any of that stuff is...

where is the....

- AC compressor
pulley
clutch
- fuse for the AC
pressure switch
- AC condenser
Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
My '06 wasn't getting very cold (100K miles) last year. I just bought one of those 134A kits, put in 1 can and it's nice & cold now. Easy Peasy. Just read the directions. Be sure to get a kit with a gauge.
Thats kinda what I am hoping, that I just need to put some of that freon stuff in it.

I'm taking it to my Autozone today, the guys there have been great and really seem to know their stuff.

Quick Reply: A/C not very cold