Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie w/ Mustang Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Magmir

Default Newbie w/ Mustang Question

Hey Everyone, first time poster here and I have a few questions. I want to get a Mustang convertible (used), but with the current body, so I know it will be 05+ (probably 05). I'm a huge car nut, but really don't know anything about American cars. I used to want a used M3 or 350Z, but I didn't want to sell my daily driver. Then the Mustang bug hit (I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before). I've always liked them, and besides that, there is something different and so much more visceral about driving an American muscle car that other cars don't offer. My friend had the V6 coupe (2000) and even that was a lot of fun for me to drive (granted I had a Civic back then). So my question is, is there anything I need to look out for when I'm looking at 05/06 verts? Should I pay a little more to get an 06 (did 05s have issues that were later resolved?)? How much should I expect to pay? It won't be my everyday car (who knows though, it may become that!), but I would like something reliable. Looking on eBay I've seen some for around 16k and if possible, I would like to keep it below that amount. Is that realistic, or are the cars in that price range going to be a POS? I'm fine w/ the V6 engine and the most I would do, if anything, is getting nicer wheels (or so I think now..., right?).

Anyway, I know this is a long and rambling post, but it's something that I'm very excited about. Thanks for your help!

Also, is there a good shop in the Atlanta area I can take it to for an inspection?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie w/ Mustang Question

I had this 05/06 dilenma when I was purchasing a car. I looked at a copy of Consumer Report automobile edition, and as expected, the reliability was better for the 06' models than the 05's (both V6 and GT). But most of this is luck, so paying a little more for an 06 might not get you a more reliable car, though statistically they do seem to be slightly better overall if you trust CR.

Getting a used V6 Vert (I assume you want a V6 and not the GT even though you didn't say specifically) around that 16K price might be a little hard, at least getting one with low miles. If you don't care about the mileage then 16K or a little less than that will be a lot easier. I don't think they'll be a POS, but at that price range they are going to be heavy mileage and no complete warranties. Personally, I think that's a little bit risky.

I know you said 16K, but have you thought about buying a new V6 Vert? You can get them for about 22K PLUS good financing if you get the deluxe version and don't get any options.

Of course, if you don't get a convertible, and just go for the coupe instead, you could get a brand new deluxe V6 for about a thousand or so above your price.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
bterry29
1st Gear Member

I bought my V6 05 vert in August 07. It had 34K miles and I paid $16,800 for it. I've not had it long but have had no problems with it other than the frozen e-brake. I think it's the premium edition because it has leather and the Shaker 500 stereo. I really enjoy it!!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Magmir

Your car looks great man!

I didn't realize you can get a new coupe for that cheap, but I'm pretty set on getting a 'vert.

What is the maintenance/reliability of these cars like? It can't be worse than a German car I imagine.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Yeah you can get a new V6 stripped coupe for pretty cheap if you shop around and haggle.

And of course, there's no way these cars are less reliable than the Germans... goodness. Electronic nanny problems might happen but nothing major should be a problem; tranmissions engine etc. Actually, that's one of the reasons I went with the Mustang over a GTI.