Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Failing inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 06 Failing inspection

ORIGINAL: banka87

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Hmmm.If the CAI and tune are causing it, you have no choice but to go back to stock at least temprarily. Running the CAI without a tune is asking for engine trouble. Can you borrow a stock box off of a friend that has a S197 Mustang? Get it inspected and go back to 93 tune and CAI. Other wise, I have seen stock boxes on ebay for basically shipping charges that other CAI boys have discarded.
Once my car flashed back to stock because the tuner ****ed up...

It's not that it will run like crap...It won't run at all. You can start it, but you have to keep giving it gas or it will just die. And I'm talking like really horrific idle.

That's because you were frying the valves.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Oh...I turned it off immediatly.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Where in NC are you located? I had to swap mine back to stock to take it to the dealership this week because I have a tire sensor failure code, but after that's done, I'll put the CAI back on.....If you're in the Raleigh area, I can loan you my stock box next week.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
ApexStang
2nd Gear Member

Don't tell me you are failing with only a intake and a tune! I just freaking reinstalled the stock H Pipe and installed a Emmissions friendly tune from Brenspeed. (Which by the way sounds weak compared to my Pypes O/R H). They sent me a 93 Oct tune with the 02 sensors on that works in conjunction with my C&L intake.

If I drive up and they tell me I'm coming up not ready still, I'm going to freaking flip!!!

Hey gatkins94, I'm in Raleigh. I might need to borrow that stock air box and return my car to factory settings. Let me know if you wouldn't mind me borrowing it if I still fail.

Thanks,
Apex Stang
Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
GrubbDawg

I am actually in the Charlotte area. I do have the flash device so I guess I can put the factory box on once a year and set the tune. I do not mind the hassle as long as it works. now if only they made tint that came on and off easily to pass

What parts would I need to search for on ebay?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrubbDawg

I am actually in the Charlotte area. I do have the flash device so I guess I can put the factory box on once a year and set the tune. I do not mind the hassle as long as it works. now if only they made tint that came on and off easily to pass

What parts would I need to search for on ebay?

This one but I have seen them much cheaper from an idividual instead of a company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...2em118Q2el1247
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
RomanPacific
1st Gear Member

I live in the Charlotte area and still have my stock air box. I keep it in the trunk just in case I need to make an emergency run to the dealership. You can borrow it for the inspection if you'd like. I'll need it back though in case I have an issue come inspection time.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

GrubbDawg - before proceeding you need to understand exactly what your failed test is telling you. In your original post you specifically state "It is failing inspection because the computer has to many readiness codes (6)". This means they did an OBD-II port test and not a "tail pipe sniffer test". Take note guys because every state and even localities in states are different.

The OBD-II test checks three major things:
1) Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) or Service Engine Soon Light, Check Engine Light, Check Engine Symbol check
2) MIL Command Status and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) check
3) OBDII (Non -Continuous) Readiness Monitors check

The fact that you specifically say 6 readiness codes sound like it was number 3 that failed. What is a readiness code?:

These monitors are like self checks of each emissions component (EGR, O2 sensor, etc) within the OBDII system. These non-continuous monitors are considered Ready until either DTC's have been cleared with a scan tool or if battery power has been disconnected, then the monitors will reset back to Not Ready. In order to get the monitors set back to Ready, the vehicle must be driven through a drive cycle, which is a combination of city/highway driving for a set period of time. This drive cycle relearns the OBDII system and rechecks all of the emissions component's individual systems. As each system completes its own self test, the monitor will set back to Ready. If a problem still exists in any of the individual systems, a DTC will set again once the monitor changes to Ready. If a vehicle has a MIL ON with a DTC set and the owner disconnects the battery to clear the light to try to pass the test, all the non-continuous monitors reset back to Not Ready and the vehicle now fails for Not Ready.

So, here is a question for you: did you recently disconnect the battery or re-flash the tune before going in for the emissions test?

To pass emissions you need to understand what is wrong - readiness codes means systems are 'not ready' to be tested. This is different from trouble codes which means some system is reporting an out of tolerance error.

What are all your mods - just a CAI and Tune or is there more than that, specifically do you have CATs? Which CAI - some can be used without a Tune. Also, what Tuner do you have? The reason I ask is the XCal2 comes with software that will allow you to determine some of this stuff for yourself, you can do data logging of the car while it is running.

Chances are if you have no other mods, a swap to stock intake and stock tune will work but you will have to make the swap and then do several drive cycles in both city and highway to get all the components to register as "ready". Stop and turn the car off frequently, then back on and drive some more.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
GrubbDawg

Thanks for all the replys guys. I set the tune to the CAI with regular gas and drove it for 3 days. I pulled into the dealership just to check the codes and they were gone. I now have a pretty inspection sticker on my windsheild.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some heads up.

You have a pic of your car Roman? I always shoot nice stangs a wave as I pass by
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Blk06 Droptop
2nd Gear Member

For the Tint issue, you have a vert just go to a quick lube place with the top and windows down and they will not check the tint. That is what I did.

Quick Reply: 06 Failing inspection