Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Failing inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
GrubbDawg

Default 06 Failing inspection

I bought the car from WI and am inspecting in NC. It is failing inspection because the computer has to many readiness codes (6). I have been told by the dealership I am getting it inspected at that I will need to remove the CAI, put on the stock air box and return the tune to factory settings. I would need to do this each year for inspection. The tune is set to CAI permium gas.

They told me that setting the tune to factory settings with the CAI on would make the car run like crap (it would get to much air).

Any advice on what I should do? Should I call the dealership where I bought the car (a month and a half ago) and ask them for the stock parts? Should I bite the bullet and fork up the cash for a stock box? Should I set the tune to factory settings with the CAI and hope I dont screw things up?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 06 Failing inspection

Hmmm.If the CAI and tune are causing it, you have no choice but to go back to stock at least temprarily. Running the CAI without a tune is asking for engine trouble. Can you borrow a stock box off of a friend that has a S197 Mustang? Get it inspected and go back to 93 tune and CAI. Other wise, I have seen stock boxes on ebay for basically shipping charges that other CAI boys have discarded.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Chances are it's not passing because the rear O2 sensors were most likely turned off in the tune. Who wrote the tune? Call them and tell them you need an emissions legal tune for your state.. They should be able to help you out.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 AM
metlcub
2nd Gear Member

Im running a CIA, 89 tune, and Dual Excaughts and I still pass emmisions with my V6, and GT with 93 tune. it sounds like to me the O2 Sensers or even the Cats have been removed. That would casue you to fail. I live in Atl, and I think Ga and SC/NC have the same immisions stadards.

I would try just a 87 tune with a CIA and see how that works. Make sure the senssors and stuff and turned back on and your cats are in place and all..

ps. sorry for miss spells, Im on my iphone atm up in NJ visisitng
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
GrubbDawg

I will try the reg octain gas tune and see if they can test the computer after a couple of days.

I will also call the dealership I bought her from and see where they got the custom tune.

Is the CAI something that is easily swapped out? I don't mind tooling around a little under the hood.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

easiest and quickest fix is generally to re-install the stock airbox and set the tune to stock. if you can get your hands on the stock airbox, can you change the tune? did the car come with a tuner when you bought it from the dealership? having your tuner write an emmissions legal tune is a good alternative as well.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

I live in NC and after a few attempts, I had to return my car back to stock ( stock air box and tune ) to get it to pass. only about 30 minutes to return to stock then back to CAI.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:42 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I'm dreading this next month. I guess I can deal with it once a year. Stupid government and their money-grubbing regulations that are otherwise useless!!!!!!!!!

I've been wondering about the possibility of just restricting the CAI's airflow and using the stock tune. Maybe strapping a rag around half of the filter would restrict the airflow enough to pass inspection.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

You'd probably throw a code. Too rich and you'd fail too.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Hmmm.If the CAI and tune are causing it, you have no choice but to go back to stock at least temprarily. Running the CAI without a tune is asking for engine trouble. Can you borrow a stock box off of a friend that has a S197 Mustang? Get it inspected and go back to 93 tune and CAI. Other wise, I have seen stock boxes on ebay for basically shipping charges that other CAI boys have discarded.
Once my car flashed back to stock because the tuner ****ed up...

It's not that it will run like crap...It won't run at all. You can start it, but you have to keep giving it gas or it will just die. And I'm talking like really horrific idle.

Quick Reply: 06 Failing inspection