Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chips in hood from everyday driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: chips in hood from everyday driving

I have never used clear coat with touch up paint. it sounds like the better idea, but i'm unsure of how it will work with compounding. Unless I would just put less touch up paint, and some clear coat to finish it off, and compound the clear down to level it out?

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

IMO a black car is pretty easy to fill in and touch up. I bought a can of touch up paint from my local auto parts store, and some mild compound. Spray the paint into the CAP of the can, and use the bottom (ripped off) part of a match stick. then dot the chip with paint. Its okay if its a little higher than the regular paint bc u will be compounding it down later (maybe the next day). Then put some wax on it, and you will/should be the only one who knows there is a chip there. looks much better than the chip. the paint on these cars suck *****.

Do you dab clear coat as well, because I have found that it is what levels it off and once compounded, is shiny like the original paint.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I have never used clear coat with touch up paint. it sounds like the better idea, but i'm unsure of how it will work with compounding. Unless I would just put less touch up paint, and some clear coat to finish it off, and compound the clear down to level it out?

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

IMO a black car is pretty easy to fill in and touch up. I bought a can of touch up paint from my local auto parts store, and some mild compound. Spray the paint into the CAP of the can, and use the bottom (ripped off) part of a match stick. then dot the chip with paint. Its okay if its a little higher than the regular paint bc u will be compounding it down later (maybe the next day). Then put some wax on it, and you will/should be the only one who knows there is a chip there. looks much better than the chip. the paint on these cars suck *****.

Do you dab clear coat as well, because I have found that it is what levels it off and once compounded, is shiny like the original paint.

Yea, that's what I do. The clear is dull when dry but using the mild compond rubs out to a gloss just like the original paint. If it is still too low, just build it up with coats.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Somehow I've got chips on the roof, sides, rear, etc... They are everywhere... my answer is... Repainting in the next couple years... Then I'll have another DD and hopefully a nice cozy garage to store the pony in.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

i filled the chips in with touch up paint.. not perfect but it looks better than bare metal..
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

mine is a dd to i got the touch up paint but didnt have to use it yet.. theres not much you can do but i try to stay away from trucks and stuff and dont drive up there a** it helps a little
Old 02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i have two small ones but i got the paint warranty so i just need to drop it off at the dealership
Old 02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

my advice to all is this.....

i decided to get a deflector for the hood (not good looking, but i was hoping it would help with that stuff this winter. before i put it on i had maybe 5 tiny chips in the very edge of the hood and that was it....the deflector took the sand, rocks, whatever and spit them into the middle of my hood, so now i have a line of chips down the middle...so i took it off the last time i cleaned, which lasted a day since it's been snowing ever since i did it [:@]

[/align]
Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

I'm lucky paint and bodywork for free.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

i bought the front end bra from ford cause i do alot of road trips... (my car is a DD ) so far i don't have any chips and the bra seems to be taking care of the problem. the b*tch is you have to take the bra off and wash it just to keep the dirt from building up and rubbing the paint off ur car. to me, it's worth it.

also, it might help not to tailgate semi trucks and cement trucks.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

nah...idk if they have the problem with gravel, sand, and rocks, like they do in snowy states, but you can be going the other way adn a rock from a car or truck coming at you will hit you........or just drivng on the interstate getting sand, pebbles, etc from lil hondas :P b/c of all the sand, salt, gravel, etc. they throw on the roads for traction.....you either get rock chips or your car coated in white salt water while driving

[/align]

Quick Reply: chips in hood from everyday driving