Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chips in hood from everyday driving

Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: chips in hood from everyday driving

Not mentioned yet, but works for me.

When driving in light traffic, I avoid (to the point of risking a ticket)being behind anything that'sbigger thana car...
I will not stay behind pick-up trucks, vans or any vehicle that could have some to do with construction sites.
Those little rocks that stick in the grooves of their tires will end up on your paint job! Let's not talk about dump trucks[8D], you have to be a morron to follow one of those. But I still see middle ageidiots doing it in Corvettes.

In heavy traffic, the low speed is usually on your side, but nothing is written in stones.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
kdf101

My car gets driven 65 miles a day and already has it's share of chips from salt, sand, cinders, rocks etc. I have just decided to deal with it as best I can, touch up paint and re-paint eventually. Unfortunately, a few scars are the inevitable result of a DD car.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

IMO the clear bra is a MUST on our cars. It works wonders...bugs wipe off really easy too. On my redfire you can't even see the line unless you are at the right angle and about 12 inches away.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I got one on the hood I took care off easily with touch paint and the tip of a toothpick. I lucked out because the chip was tiny and not noticeable. I got another one on the driver side front fender that I also too care the same one. The Washington State roads suck when it comes to road debris....
Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 AM
MIKE562
2nd Gear Member

Paint chips suck! I have a couple on my hood on on the roof of my car. And they are pretty noticeable too[:@] I'm gonna buy some touch up paint and do my best to cover it up
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MIKE562

Paint chips suck! I have a couple on my hood on on the roof of my car. And they are pretty noticeable too[:@] I'm gonna buy some touch up paint and do my best to cover it up

Good for you. Practise makes perfect. I have found that I need to monitor the number of coats I use to get the color right. It won't happen with one coat of color and then clear. Usually, it takes 2-3 coats. Just depends on how thick the coat is, but I try to stay thin. Black isn't as much a factor.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 AM
falconsfan

ORIGINAL: kdrshocker

i bought the front end bra from ford cause i do alot of road trips... (my car is a DD ) so far i don't have any chips and the bra seems to be taking care of the problem. the b*tch is you have to take the bra off and wash it just to keep the dirt from building up and rubbing the paint off ur car. to me, it's worth it.

also, it might help not to tailgate semi trucks and cement trucks.
I went with the bra also.

Definitely helps but as you said it is a pain to remove and put back on.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM
sailors06GT

Thanks a lot for all your help.I am curious about the "paint warrenty" that I heard mentioned. That was not even offerd to me when I bought it. What do I do with the rubbing compound? Also, I have heard about using a tooth pick or match, the touch up paint that I got came in a pen form. I have yet to try it, but plan on it. No one said that I needed to get clearcoat. Is there a specific paint code for that also?? Lastly, do any of you have that simoniz treatment on your baby?? Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. My chips aren't as bad as they could be or could have been. I was just feeling like I was the only one out there. Thanks for the support.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 AM
sailors06GT

Thanks a lot for all your help.I am curious about the "paint warrenty" that I heard mentioned. That was not even offerd to me when I bought it. What do I do with the rubbing compound? Also, I have heard about using a tooth pick or match, the touch up paint that I got came in a pen form. I have yet to try it, but plan on it. No one said that I needed to get clearcoat. Is there a specific paint code for that also?? Lastly, do any of you have that simoniz treatment on your baby?? Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. My chips aren't as bad as they could be or could have been. I was just feeling like I was the only one out there. Thanks for the support.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I mentioned clear coat but it was probably after you already got it. The clear coat will match the rest of the car which is clear coated. Mine is in pen form as well, but flows a little too fast for my likeing. I got a model airplane paint brush and cut down the fibers so that it was a real small brush. I got some paint on a paper plate, and brushed it on being careful to only paint the chipped area. Wait until the color paint is completely dry, like overnight. Apply the clear coat in the same way keeping 10 minutes between coats. Once the chip area is full, I use a credit card to sqeegee off the area. Let this dry overnight, then use a mild rubbing compond to polish the area. You may not even know where it was afterwards.