Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top speed with 4.10's, big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Top speed with 4.10's, big deal?

ORIGINAL: Caution

If you really wanna know the top speed ... just jump in your stang on an open HWY with a passenger and have them hit the reset button on the speedo over and over again to see where it stops at ... might take awhile so you would need a nice long open stretch of road to the middle of no where -- umm like the road headed to Vegas ... plenty of space there around 3-4am [:-] [8D]
He forgot to add......

when you think you hit your top speed turn off your lights and count to ten then pull your ebrake. I only recomend this under the inffluence of drugs or liquer[8D]
Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

So is that what you'll be doing once you get out here ... If so I'm sitting shotgun and I'm pulling your ebrake. What are you drinking, my treat... haha

ORIGINAL: pignprogress

If you really wanna know the top speed ... just jump in your stang on an open HWY with a passenger and have them hit the reset button on the speedo over and over again to see where it stops at ... might take awhile so you would need a nice long open stretch of road to the middle of no where -- umm like the road headed to Vegas ... plenty of space there around 3-4am [:-] [8D]
He forgot to add......

when you think you hit your top speed turn off your lights and count to ten then pull your ebrake. I only recomend this under the inffluence of drugs or liquer[8D]
Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

lol about a dozen shots of patrone and a healthy size spinach stuffed smoking product and im good to go, you may have to count to ten though when i cut the lights

So is that what you'll be doing once you get out here ... If so I'm sitting shotgun and I'm pulling your ebrake. What are you drinking, my treat... haha

He forgot to add......

Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

ha -- so is that counting to 10 before or after the dozen shots of Patrone? Something tells me that I'm getting into trouble come March [:-].

lol about a dozen shots of patrone and a healthy size spinach stuffed smoking product and im good to go, you may have to count to ten though when i cut the lights

He forgot to add......

Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I recently had the FRPP 4.10's installed. All about the torque! Love my Hurst too. Only complaint is that I don't have confidence that third will be there. Seriously thinking of the CHE K-Member brace with torque limiters.

How many opportunites would you have to push 130mph anyway?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Hey I don't feel likewe have lost any of our top speed. Like most of ushave the SCT2 tuner with someone's tune. Mine is brenspeed and the rpm now is governed to what 6700? I haven't lost anything but time on the clock.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Theoretically, the 4.10 will run out of HP. The torque will be there without anything to turn it. Setting the rev limiter higher isn't the answer IMO. The 3.31 will never have enough torque to see it's true potential because of air resistance. It it had more aerodynamics, it's potential top speed could be as high as 180.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

As long as we`re talking top speed inastock car in5th gear, a quick look at the gearing calculator would seem to indicate that anything "under" a 4.88 would marginallyINCREASE top speed. ( remember we`re talking actual NOT theoretical)
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99flhr

As long as we`re talking top speed in 5th gear, a quick look at the gearing calculator would seem to indicate that anything "under" a 4.88 would increase top speed.

Well anything under a 4.88 will help, but you have to allow wind resistance. You get to a point where the car says......"That's all I got." The trick is to find that partnership with HP and gear ratio that allows you to get use of all the HP as well as the torque.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

I agree 100%, in the absence of resistance the stock car theoretically tops out at 200+

Quick Reply: Top speed with 4.10's, big deal?