Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 & Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:03 AM
kevdusmc

Default Shaker 500 & Satellite Radio

Has anyone added satellite radio to their Shaker head unit? If so, how did you do it? Is there an aux. input, or do you have to use the FM modulator? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Dare
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker 500 & Satellite Radio

Didn't see anyone responded yet, but I believe it will run off your FM radio. A lot of these satellite receivers have FM modulator built-in and even a micro antenea so maybe you don't even need an external antenea. You still need to plug it in to the DC outlet or thread a wire from somewhere. Also, I'm not sure if satellite radio is CD quality or what, but the sound quality will only be as good as FM if not wired directly, which is a little less than an audio tape. Most people can't tell the difference and a "closed circuit" FM signal sounds great.

I've never listened to satellite radio so this info in coming out of my ***.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:32 PM
cmenders
1st Gear Member

Several of us have already wondered the same question. What is that f#$%^ AUX button on the front of the Shaker 500 for?

Answere, no body knows!

https://mustangforums.com/m_435851/m.../tm.htm#435851

There appears to be no plugs in the back of the unit that support the AUX button. I did read somewhere that this feature is to be used in future. Maybe some sort of change to the wiring harness to allow for an input.

The result, if you want to use your satelite radio, for now you have to use an FM transmitter until the AUX thing is figured out.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Dare
1st Gear Member

Shaker = eBay it
Old 03-31-2005, 09:57 PM
T.J. King

I had the Sirius Sportster unit installed in my 05. The way it was explained to me is that this setup feeds into the FM. The unit I bought is removable and can be placed into a boombox. The BB sounds pretty good. The sound in the car is very good however, I'm not a sound buff. It only has to get the stations to come in clear to keep me happy.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 AM
kevdusmc

I asked this question at a stereo shop and he called his vendor to see if satellite can be hooked directly to the Shaker w/o going through the FM modulator route. The vendor said that no one is putting out a converter yet, but it will come in time. It sounds as if there is a way to use the aux. button for satellite, presumably through the wire harness since there is no input on the back of the deck, but the necessary connection isn't being put out by anyone yet.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:08 AM
hybridmoments
2nd Gear Member

I'm using the XM with the fm modulator...works like a champ!! hope image isn't too big probably will be though

[IMG]local://upfiles/14045/0520F498B72D49E38348DCF25F3D7745.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Hey! That looks like MY dash! Hehe, the image is fine. I have Sirius sat in my truck and it uses a Kenwood head unit. But to do this in the Stang with the Shaker 500 or 1000, you do need that seperate readout setup. Not to crazy about the looks of it. Might have to pass on sat till I can replace the entire Shaker. But sat radio IS great. No damn commercials, and its almost cd quality sound.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Dare
1st Gear Member

Is there a 2nd DC outlet on the mustang you plug it into or is the one right in the middle the only one... grr terrible place for an outlet.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:21 AM
hybridmoments
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dare

Is there a 2nd DC outlet on the mustang you plug it into or is the one right in the middle the only one... grr terrible place for an outlet.

there is one in the center console...had to run the power supply up and through the gear shifting area..pain in the ***

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 & Satellite Radio