Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda Carbon Fiber inlet tube. WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Carbon Fiber inlet tube. WOW!

That's interesting. It's hard to believe that you would see such a big difference given that the Saleen tube is a just a big tube flowing air, compared to another big tube flowing air. The Saleen tube is strong, it won't collapse.

I'm also confused by your statement that the Saleen tube was hard to install. For me it was a breeze, just swap the tube and I was ready to go. I had to get a new clamp to the intake though, the one that originally came with the tube was too big and didn't seal right. Are you sure yours was installed correctly?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sycd

That's interesting. It's hard to believe that you would see such a big difference given that the Saleen tube is a just a big tube flowing air, compared to another big tube flowing air. The Saleen tube is strong, it won't collapse.

I'm also confused by your statement that the Saleen tube was hard to install. For me it was a breeze, just swap the tube and I was ready to go. I had to get a new clamp to the intake though, the one that originally came with the tube was too big and didn't seal right. Are you sure yours was installed correctly?
I think the saleen inlet tube of its wierd shape was distorted on the bottom, it wasn't smooth. The bottom of the saleen inlet tube pushed hard against the alternater.

The saleen inlet tube was cake to install the hard one was the Steeda inlet tube, The cervini's hood would leave indents into the CAI from a channel in the hood. The saleen inlet tube was good for this since after some modification to the heat shield they both were a snug fit but didn't rub.

The Steeda Inlet tube had to be adjusted along with the heat shield once again since the Steeda cai is a solid piece and doesn't bend. After I trimmed down the heat shield re routed my alternator wire and bent back that small brake fluid block next to the heat shield I was able to get it all to fit with out any rubbing.

hope that helped clarify.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Header install was pretty simple on a lift over our heads, disconnect clamps remove hpipe remove starter remove battery unbolt everything from top and under the car, disconnect the steering shaft on the driver side. The hardest part was getting the rear driver side lower screw back in with a little creativity we got it. Hope this helps hah. I learn as I go but my buddy helped. I'm new to this. I did install my supercharger, twin gt pumps whatever else is in my list I did
Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

i like how it looks
Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

I think the saleen inlet tube of its wierd shape was distorted on the bottom, it wasn't smooth. The bottom of the saleen inlet tube pushed hard against the alternater.

The saleen inlet tube was cake to install the hard one was the Steeda CAI, The cervini's hood would leave indents into the CAI from a channel in the hood. The saleen inlet tube was good for this since after some modification to the heat shield they both were a snug fit but didn't rub.

The Steeda Inlet tube had to be adjusted along with the heat shield once again since the Steeda cai is a solid piece and doesn't bend. After I trimmed down the heat shield re routed my alternator wire and bent back that small brake fluid block next to the heat shield I was able to get it all to fit with out any rubbing.

hope that helped clarify.
Yep, that clarifies things a lot. It's hard to believe that Saleen wouldn't design their own tube to fit their SC without being pushed hard like you described. Maybe the loss was due to that compression of the tube?

Anyway, I recently installed the Saleen tube for my Steeda intake and I'm happy with it. I don't actually have the Saleen SC, so it's not being pushed hard anywhere. Since I'm not sucking in as much air as you are, I probably wouldn't see a difference between the Steeda and the Saleen tubes, and the Saleen tube was quite cheaper and looks better to me. It will do until I slap a whipple on there [8D]

Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Nick62087
1st Gear Member

Where did you get those black silicone couplers? Did they come with the elbow? I love the looks of the carbon fiber inlet elbow, i wish it was available when i bought my steeda cai. Im stuck with the plastic tube with the blue couplers.

As for the increase in boost, i've read that twinscrew and roots blowers are very sensitive to restrictions on the inlet side. I know that its true because i noticed more boost on my Thunderbird SC after i took out the airbox and changed the inlet tube. After the install it'll pin the gauge at 15psi.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

+ 1 on a sweet looking engine bay. I tossed on my gts-2 hood for a few days as soon as I got it and all of the open vents sure did let alot of dust into the engine bay. Mine used to look that way also. Not no more though. What do you use to clean yours?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Nick62087; Yes the black couplers did come with the elbow, I was expecting the bright blue ones when i opened the package but I'm happy they are black.

TOMBSTANG: thanks for the compliments I just got in the mail the last 2 caps for the engine bay so no more plastic tops! I clean mine with a brush water and a leaf blower. If it gets bad I'll power wash the engine bay and use the blower to make sure there is no water left to rust anywhere. Takes a long time but the end result ispretty clean. I'll post another picture with all the caps when the sun comes out.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 AM
GRABBER08GT
2nd Gear Member

Looks killer, does in require any tune change if you change the inlet tube? more air in ?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GRABBER08GT

Looks killer, does in require any tune change if you change the inlet tube? more air in ?
I'm not 100% on this yet. With the saleen inlet tube my MAF was REALLY close to being pegged. I haven't datalogged the new tube yet so I'm not sure yet. Soon as I datalog I will post the results.

Quick Reply: Steeda Carbon Fiber inlet tube. WOW!