Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question, 3.73 + Spyder Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:32 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

Default Question, 3.73 + Spyder Shaft

So finally the day came last week to pick up the car from the Gear & Driveshaft install. I just wanted to pick some of your guys minds. Because it's louder than I thought and it's on accel and decel but it goes away the faster you go. ( I didn't have my tuner to change the speedo when I picked it up, but I'd estimate around 60 -70 mph the whine starts to go away.) It's weird and I'm sweatin it right now, as it's deep *** winter here, and I can't drive it to break them in, and the guy at the shop is a nice guy, and works on all my other cars, and cuts me a break alot of times......I don't want to ruin that. So to my questions. Oh and I did the search option and read through a lot of the threads, but couldn't get my specific questions answered to my liking, so I'll try again. Hopefully guys like CrazyAl are still around and can shed some light on all this, and Ron from Spyder too.

Question:
Will the New Driveshaft magnify gear whine? (No Vibrations at all, just loud *** whine, or howl or however you want to describe it)

I know they must not be set up right because they are loud, but would that whine diminish once broken in? As I've only driven it about 15 miles since I took it from the shop to my buddies house for storage....the weather here is ****ty.

Will the whine hurt anything until I can get it back in? Not that I drive it in the winter but the 15 miles to my buddies house and back to the garage will be about 30 miles.

The guy that owns the garage told me to drive it for 500 miles gently then bring it in to change out the fluid and readjust....do you think I should just do that? Or take it in now?

And again how much of this noise is due to the new driveshaft? If any.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question, 3.73 + Spyder Shaft

ORIGINAL: vack75

Question:
Will the New Driveshaft magnify gear whine? (No Vibrations at all, just loud *** whine, or howl or however you want to describe it)

I know they must not be set up right because they are loud, but would that whine diminish once broken in? As I've only driven it about 15 miles since I took it from the shop to my buddies house for storage....the weather here is ****ty.

Will the whine hurt anything until I can get it back in? Not that I drive it in the winter but the 15 miles to my buddies house and back to the garage will be about 30 miles.

The guy that owns the garage told me to drive it for 500 miles gently then bring it in to change out the fluid and readjust....do you think I should just do that? Or take it in now?

And again how much of this noise is due to the new driveshaft? If any.
1. Not by much. You may pick up a little NVH but not a "magnification" of gear whine.

2. Trust your first instinct. Yes - they are set up wrong. No - it will not get better. Your description of 'loud *** whine' and 'howl' say it all.

3. Depends on how far out of whack the gears are. Regardless - it is on the installer to make it right.

4. The normal rule of thumb is three full heat cycles before getting on it. I've heard of some garages saying to change fluid (not many) and never heard of 'adjustment' (if they are set up right there is *nothing* to adjust.)

5. I would guess little to none is the fault of the DS. It is *possible* but not very likely. More likely is you handed the installer a set of Motive 3.73s which are more difficult to set up than the FRPP gears and he blew it. Did the installer not even test drive your car before giving it back to you?