Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline Vibration !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

Default Driveline Vibration !!!!

Ok, I'm going to need some help. I'm pretty resourceful, but now feel like I've exhausted all means of troubleshooting this vibration problem.

I have an 06 GT manual tranny with 17,000 miles. Mods include JLTII intake, Steeda CMDP's, and93 oct Brenspeed tune.

I'm getting a buzzing type of vibration (felt in the shifter) that resembles something like a cell phone vibrating, or a bit worse. On top of that vibration, there is also a distinct "thumping" felt when under heavier load. These vibrations are slightly felt in neutral (clutch in or out)andany gear, but get worse when under load. I don't have any vibrations in the cabin, steering, or pedals.

I have checked the engine and tranny mounts and could not find any problems. I also tripple checked all exhaust hangars and clearances.

I took it in to the dealer once a few weeks ago to have them look at it, but they gave me the old "I don't feel/hear anything" and "that's normal" BS! So I figure I'd either continue to troubleshoot it myself, or wait until something broke and take it in for warranty repair. I don't want to keep going back just to hear that same ****, plus I don't want to put my stock charge motion plates and intake back on everytime.

In the past few days, I am now getting a slight shudder/groaning from the drivetrain that resembles the sound of a semi-truck pulling away at a stoplight. I guess thissounds like clutch chatter, but only happens at low RPM (around 1200-1700) in any gear but not during clutch engagment, but rather a couple seconds afterwards.

Any ideas?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:30 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Driveline Vibration !!!!

Well you already checked exhaust, I was going to suggest that since I had a problem similar and it was the exhaust. I'm not really sure the last symptom has me a little confused.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:57 AM
NeNCGT
1st Gear Member

As you've stated that there isn't any vibraion in the steering or though the pedals so I would look at the driveshaft and the rear axle its self. Without hearing it for myself, it's just a guess at best, but check the pinion bearings for noise or play. It's the thumping/groan/shutter noises that make me think that the axlemaybe a good starting point. Good Luck,
Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Your shifter assembly has only 3 mounting points, I'd check them for the heck of it. Just not sure about the shudder/groaning from the drivetrain that you're experiencing.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

If you still get it with the clutch in I think the driveshaft is not to blame. Otherwise I would suspect it is the culprit.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 PM
dcottrell6
1st Gear Member

I had somewhat the same thing on an 07 gt except that there was also a rattle in the center console behind the radio.

Took it to the dealer and they said it was the driveshaft causing a vibration up through the trans tunnel.
The did TSB 08-3-4 and everything was good.
Haven't found out exactly what is in this tsb yet, it apparently was released on 01/31/08.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dcottrell6

I had somewhat the same thing on an 07 gt except that there was also a rattle in the center console behind the radio.

Took it to the dealer and they said it was the driveshaft causing a vibration up through the trans tunnel.
The did TSB 08-3-4 and everything was good.
Haven't found out exactly what is in this tsb yet, it apparently was released on 01/31/08.
This is probably the culprit.

Other wise I would lean towards something in the clutch assembly.

If it's in the driveline the dealership should be able to take it off and balance it.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Let us know if the dealer fixes that under the TSB. I get vibration in my shifter too. But I've also looked at my passenger seat while I'm driving and the whole backrest vibrates... I'm hoping the problem is just the bent rim I found last week. But I'm wondering, would something in the suspension cause the shifter to vibrate too? To me, the vibration reminds me of the feeling you get in your hand when you're using a high speed drill or something, if that makes any sense? (I've driven a manual plenty of times before, but this is the first one I've owned...so for all I know, a little bit of vibration in the shifter is normal. Sorry if I sound like I'm clueless!)
Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

The vibrationsare felt in neutral and at idle (coasting and at a stop as well), so I'm leaning away from the driveshaft. It definately is much more intense as the load increases, but has the same vibration patterns either way. The vibration and thumping gets more intense under load. The thumps feel like a soft mallet hitting up under the shifter. The frequency of this thumping seems to mimic the loping exhaust at idle and gets somewhat faster with RPM, but isn't nearly as rapid as the vibration, which is more like that high-speed drill or cell phone.

One more thing.....When engaged (in any gear) if I barely pull or push (very lightly) on the shifter I feel the gears grinding through the shifter. Is this normal for our TR-3650?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:28 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

In the old days, the flywheel would give up, gets crackedand thus, make a racket after a while.
I'll have that checked.

Also, check your bell housing for thighness, I've seen those getting loose (not on S197 though).
Usually the thing that you suspect the least, is your problem.

Good luck and let us know what it was...

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration !!!!