Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going to attempt to install my GT500 rear spoiler tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:53 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

Default I'm going to attempt to install my GT500 rear spoiler tomorrow.

So, being that I'm an IT major, I specialize in computers and networking, not automotive body work.

I'm going to attempt to install the spoiler(my father will be helping as well), and it'll be replacing the stock V6 lip spoiler. To those who have done it, I've heard I can just use the 2 existing holes, and thetape it comes with.

My question, is that if I do go this route, do I need to fill the other 2 holes from the stock spoiler, or will the spoiler sit on top and fill them? I'd hate to open the trunk to find some water has leaked in.

Also, from reading, it seems like it'll be an easy job. Undo afew bolts, peel off existing tape, screw in new spoiler, and retape. Does this sound about right?

And one more question(I'm an idiot, I apologize), but I'm wanting to install my 2 pony fender emblems as well. Did you guys drill holes to screw them in, or just grind away the tips and tape them. If you taped them, what did you use to grind away the tips?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I'm going to attempt to install my GT500 rear spoiler tomorrow.

Get some Goo Gone to make the clean up easier for the left over residue from the stock spoiler.
Get some silicone to seal the existing holes- stop leaks & rust from forming.
Get some rubbing alcohol to clean the area where you will be applying the tape.
Note: I have heard that you will need some sort of fishing type line, or something similiar, but non abrassivefor both the spoiler, and the side emblems.

I have done some research, as I have my GT500 spoiler sitting in my living for the past month and a half
Let me know how it works out man- Good Luck!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

To the top. Wanting to start working on this in the morning, so I'd really like some help with it. You guys haven't let me down yet. I've been searching around google, but haven't found much help yet.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

Weird. I bumped my post at the same time you posted that, haha... Yeah, I'll be buying some Goo Gone, and we already have the Alcohol and the fishing line. Thanks for the tip on the silicone, I wasn't sure whether or not the new spoiler would stop leaking or not.

Thanks Vergina!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Try this. http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/p...ns/055-620.pdf
Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
blackonblackstang

Most of your time will be spent getting the stock spoiler off and the tape removed. I have mine mounted with just the bolts now until it warms up and I can spend more time cleaning it up. I hear the old tape comes off better if it is warm, but it is still a pain even with the solvent. You will have to pry the stock spoiler off pretty hard to break the tape so make sure that you are careful not to damage the decklid. Also, they make plugs to fill the second set of holes.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

i replaced my stock GT spoiler with the ford factory GT500 one. just take your time with the fishing line or whatever you use. have paitence when trying to remove the old one. mine was really on there. then clean the residue with rubbing alcohol and your ready to install. mine bolted into all the stock holes. no holes to silicone. good luck with it.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

Thanks for the link. Have any of you installed pony fender emblems? How easy was it?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

After you get the Factory screws out, try to get a plastic (thin) chisel type instument, and while pushing up on the spoiler with steady pressure start to cut through the 3M tape. I did this and it seemed like it wasn't going to budge....then all of a sudden "Pop" and it was off.

As far as getting the residue off the trunk lid (You will have a new found respect for 3m tape when you try this), I tried 862 goo gone type products...without success....save yourself and your Dad a lot of grief by getting a rubber disc for you drill and the stuff will be off in a matter of seconds.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Does anyone know if starter fluid will take the paint off? It is great at removing adhesive!

Quick Reply: I'm going to attempt to install my GT500 rear spoiler tomorrow.