Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how far can i push the automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: how far can i push the automatic?

Chris at 425 HP your car must be a little challenging in the winter even with the Blizzaks.
I used to drive my old fox body Mustangs back in the eighties all year round.
That was some scary stuff because those cars got zero traction on snow.

Piggysmallz,
The options to build up the automatic are only two.
1) Level 10
2) TCI

They both sell complete trannies or upgrade kits. The complete trannies will set you back 5K so not a cheap option. For 6500 you can call Lenny and get his 4R70W setup with a stall converter, tranbrake, custom valve body (full manual if you want) and a stand-alone controller. So if you are going to build a 700 HP monster that would be the way to go.
I wanted to retain the stock tranny and PCM control so I chose the Level 10 Stage III transmission. So far it has been fine but I am not pushing massive power levels.
The tranmission upgrade kits have:
upgraded pump (only Level 10 NOT from TCI)
upgraded bands (better material)
upgraded clutches (better material)
upgraded servos
modified valve body
upgraded shift solenoids and TC locking solenoid (Level10 only)
deep pan (optional)

There is no upgrade for the 5/8" input shaft.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

I mean, it can be, but, I've been driving in the snow for 10+ years now believe it or not. With the GT, I just know how to handle it. Plus, the Vortech does not kick in until I get over 2500 RPM, and that is when I start to hit a fair amount of boost. Approx. 4lbs. So far, not bad. I'm only worried about the others, since I've already been rear-ended by someone that thought he was special, and could stop like nothing in the snow.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
black S197
3rd Gear Member

Grabber,

Is that non-IC Vortec an "easy" install compared to the IC vesions? Also how much does the power vary from winter temps. to summer weather w/out the IC.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:12 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Chris at 425 HP your car must be a little challenging in the winter even with the Blizzaks.

Piggysmallz,
1) Level 10
2) TCI

They both sell complete trannies or upgrade kits. The complete trannies will set you back 5K so not a cheap option. For 6500 you can call Lenny and get his 4R70W setup with a stall converter, tranbrake, custom valve body (full manual if you want) and a stand-alone controller. So if you are going to build a 700 HP monster that would be the way to go.
I wanted to retain the stock tranny and PCM control so I chose the Level 10 Stage III transmission. So far it has been fine but I am not pushing massive power levels.
upgraded servos
modified valve body
deep pan (optional)

that was my point to giddyup lol. The manual is stronger IMHO because for $800 you can upgrade the clutch and flywheel but you need to spend 1800+ to upgrade the auto. Therefore to me the manual can handle the power better. I want to push close to 500 rwhp eventually in my GT so i assume i need the level 10 stage III or the tci superstreet fighter...but they say they are built for naturally aspirated engines.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

until it breaks. LOL
Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

retain the stock tranny and PCM control
Another option is something like the 4stb-e from FB Performance. It's basedoff the old aode/4r70w. There are several flavors available. Mine came with full manual valve, transbrake, electronic overdrive, and TC lockup. The base version is rated at 900 hp. Mine has since been upgraded and reinforced by FBP. Total cost with upgrades about $7000. It retains the OEM multi-functional wire harness and connector to the MLPS switch. It was easy going from the stock 5 speed, since it uses the computer from the stick shift. It has a forward 3 speed shift pattern. It's like driving a manual but without a clutch. Not been track tested yet. Car has been running for only a few days since complete rebuild and is scheduled for its first dynotune this saturday.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

The Vortech I have is non IC obviously. I don't know the differences in power between winter and summer, but I do know at certain points, when the DA is awesome, and I'm driving to work, I get a little extra power because of the air. Now, I'll ask someone who has had the kit on for a while, and used it during the summer. I don't think the power difference is off by much at all. He ran a 12.2 in pretty humid and hot weather. So, in better weather, 11's would be a good possibilty. I'll get you more info.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:25 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Piggysmallz,
1) Level 10
2) TCI

upgraded servos
modified valve body
deep pan (optional)

that was my point to giddyup lol. The manual is stronger IMHO because for $800 you can upgrade the clutch and flywheel but you need to spend 1800+ to upgrade the auto. Therefore to me the manual can handle the power better. I want to push close to 500 rwhp eventually in my GT so i assume i need the level 10 stage III or the tci superstreet fighter...but they say they are built for naturally aspirated engines.

My point to you was comparing stock vs stock, the auto is tougher and can't really be debated. The auto can be beefed up as well. It is good you realize that the clutch is the weak point on the manual. It always will be.