Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had an interesting conversation today

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:22 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Had an interesting conversation today

This car is overweight and fat. Its HP - Lbs ratio shows it. Drop weight as much as you mod N/A and you'll make great gains.

This car should have only weighed 2800lbs max.... Its sad what happened.

FI is a different story, of course. That beats all.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Hmmmm, The shop guy does have a point. As the other guys have said, it depends on your ultimate goal. If you want the most from your power mods, then in my mind it doesn't matter which order you apply the weight saving mods if you're going to have them anyway.

But remember, 25lb saved on the weight of [whatever] will have a larger positive effect on the track numbersif the car is N/A. The power-to-weight ratio will swing right across the scale with the addition of F/I and that same 25lbs won't be half as visible so don't expect miracles.

I'd hold off on the CAI if you're defo going F/I. For the marginal increase in performance it's not financially viable over a short period of time, or put another way, a waste of money.I sold my CAI setup after going F/I at a show'n'shine for $50 LOL
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Justin at VMP suggested the 1 5/8' LTs max for the 4.6L. Apparently 1 3/4" don't help any since the 4.6 isn't large enough to support the volume.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 AM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

IMO it depends on how long till you get your big power adder, most mustang owners with families etc etc, just can't buy a 25+k car then dump another 6k on a power adder, and all the other jazz we need to do with it for max performance. Most of us I think want to do it right and use good stuff, so costs could ramp up considerably.

Besides enjoying relatively cheap mods now ie CAI, Tune, Pullies, LCA's, Drive Shafts etc, are a good step between, not only to learn alot about these vehicles but to give us a slight peek into what these cars are capable of.

Not to mention all those mods are easily resellable, or even usable with S/C aplications, IE the CAI could be used with the Saleen set up I think.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 AM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

This car should have only weighed 2800lbs max.... Its sad what happened.
Reality check, not even remotely possible at this price point.
Even after extensive employment of aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber, hydroformed frame rails and balsa a Z06 weighs more than 2800lbs.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah I would agree with the shop guy in most things. I wouldn't sweat the K-member or tubular A arms yet. However, I agree with Howarmat the DS is a good mod at any point (simply to get rid of that two piece thunk if nothing else). I would pass on the pulleys because I don't think you'll see enough gains compared to how much you'll loose in the value when you sell them (if you can sell them).
The CAI and tune I would do if your going to go more then 6 months to a year before you FI, IMO. Hey if you go Saleen you can use the CAI in some cases.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

I am going in the direction of weight reduction and suspension modifications. If the ultra light rims were not so darn expensive I would have those also. In the mean time I'm sticking with the original rims.

My car is a daily driver.

That way when and if I decide to SC the car it will be ready.

If ya cant get the weight transfer right and get the power to the ground stock, ya dont stand a chance with a SC.

Go with your orinal idea.

Installing the sway bar - radiator delete along with the k-member and "a" arms will take about 100lbs off the front of the car. The aluminum driveshaft reduces the rotational mass and is definately a good investment.