Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am sick and tired of the clunking in the rear of my Stang, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I am sick and tired of the clunking in the rear of my Stang, anyone else?

Mat do you have 4.10s as well?
So you are saying that you had clunking before changing your DS and now it is pretty much gone?
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I am sick and tired of the clunking in the rear of my Stang, anyone else?

i had clunking in my automatic but i figure out it was an aerosol can rolling around in my trunk lol
JRT1
4th Gear Member

HAHAHA.
Iwill go check for aerosol cans right now. [8D]
Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

I might have to start a poll on this, i am curious how many people have the thunking and clunking and have learn to ignore it.
Sign me up. And it bothers me but not too much. But I seem to notice it more when I'm being sloppy with the clutch.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

i have an 05 manual. Since january of 05 i have had this noise With 4.10's and lca's.I just recently replaced my driveshaft with a 1 piece and its gone for me now. Im not sure if we are talking about the same exact noise but the driveshaft definately helped for me.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

My 08 GT Manual makes a ton of rear clunking during shifts, and I'm pretty sure mine clunks just as loud going from 4-5 as it does from 1-2. My car is totally stock as well. It bothers me, but I don't know if they will do anything at the dealer about it. My clutch also makes a ton of noise when I release the pedal even if i have the shifter in neutral and also there is a weird knock that I hear about every 30 seconds coming from the engine compartment while sitting at idle. I'm guessing I probably need to head in to the dealer when I get some time so that maybe they can fix one of these things.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:05 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

The transmission and clutch are real noisy aswell.
With the car off just run the shifter through the gears and you will hear so many crazy pops and clanks.
That I am OK with because they are small noises.
The clunk in the rear is loud and and annoying.
I love my car but I hate that aspect of it and it fast gratting on my last nerve.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

OK here is what i have noticed from everyone on the board and the 16 million threads about "noises".....

1. Clunks are much more pronounced when you are shifting sloppy and in 1-3 gears mostly.
2. Changing gears doesn't seem to make a difference (ie. 3.55 - 410)
3. The 2 PC DS is going add to the noisiness of the drive train, remember that adds a third point where noise is added instead of 2 with a 1 PC DS
4. The 5 speed that the mustang uses is noisy. It has been for years, nothing has changed there.
5. Clutch packs are also a problem for some, this would lead to rear end noise, not so much clunking but you will hear it.
6. Clunks from the rear if you have replaced suspension would indicate improper installation. No suspension part should clunk.

7. bodies in the trunk also can make some noise....
Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM
infinityonhigh
1st Gear Member

Learn how to rev-match. Honestly I'm not trying to insult anyone in this thread, but as soon as I got used to rev-matching the clunking completely went away. That is, unless I get on it, but then again it's a give and take. I don't mind sacrificing a little civility in the car for a great seat of the pants feel. Maybe my car is different, I don't know. Just thought Id give my two cents.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

hey howarmat...you forgot aerosol cans in the trunk

Quick Reply: I am sick and tired of the clunking in the rear of my Stang, anyone else?