Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Tech-Gurus, I have a tough one for ya...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Default Ok Tech-Gurus, I have a tough one for ya...

I have another "mystery noise" but i can't find anyone else on here who's experienced the same thing. And no, it's not another dash rattle or axle-back noise.Let me start by saying i've searched this forum high and low, and although i've found similar threads, we always decide my noise is different. And yes, I know i could take it to the dealer, but one of the characteristics is that it usually goes away once my car is nice and warm and the dealership is 20 miles away....

By the way, i have a 2005, 5sp manual. Ok, now like a lot of noises and rattles, this one started when the weather got cold around here (East Texas). It definately started before i installed my cai/tune so that's not it. When i start my car, i can usually hear a slight metallic vibration coming from under the front of the car somewhere. This is only slightly annoying, but i think it's related to the main noise.

Now, the main culprit. Everytime i start driving and shift gears under load, i hear an "airy whirring". i know that isn't the best descriptor, but it's not a rattle, squeal, or pop. It's pretty loud, and actually sounds like the noise the wind makes when it's blowing hard outside and you're in an old house......or when you're in the woods, and the wind is blowing through pine trees. It's coming from the front of the car, almost sounds like it's just on the other side of the dash.....or just outsidethe footwells. It does it between every gear, but lessens as i shift higher (meaning it's worse from 1-2 shift than it is from 3-4). Also, it seems to be somehow related to my clutch area, because if i'm just driving and push in my clutch juuust a little, i can start to hear it. Now a gentleman on here once suggest my throw out bearing which is a possibility. But my dealer, which is a friend i trust, said that it would sound different than i described, plus it wouldn't go away when my car was warmed up. On hot days, it may not do it at all. But on some cold days, it's pretty bad......

So, what do ya'll think?? Belt? it doesn't squeal, and looks fine. Exhaust leak on the headers?? Can exhaust noises go away when warm?? Someweird bolt that's loose?? And no, it's not my cai, i've checked and rechecked, plus it did this before i installed it. I read some thread about some plate between the tranny and motor......this is possible, but the guys said thiers didn't sound like mine....... [:@]

Sorry for being long winded, but i wanted to get this figured out this time.

Thanks for your time, guys..
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok Tech-Guru's, I have a tough one for ya...

it could be several things...

pilot bearing
or
slave cylinder related

let us know what it turns out to be

Old 02-26-2008, 12:08 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

hopefully those are easy to diagnose.....can the dealer check those even if it's not making noise?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

I have an automatic and I also have those two symptoms. When the engine is cold and I drive I get a whirring as well until it heats up a bit. It may just have something to do with the oil being harder to pump when cold. I'm no expert though so don't quote me on that. I also get that metallic rattle you're talking about when the engine is cold and I'm idling or giving it just a little gas. It goes away though when the car is in gear. I'm starting to think the whirring is normal, but I would really like to know what the metallic noise is.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

(Did the noise start after you installed the CAI? Does it occur after you shift and press on the accelerator? Is it a short burst? My car does this as well (C&L Racer CAI) and I believe it's caused by the sudden suction created when the butterfly valve opens under load. You can hear it because the air filter is exposed. When you're at rest in neutral can you hear it when you give it some gas?

Dustin)

Should have finished reading your post. My bad.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmssch89

I have an automatic and I also have those two symptoms. When the engine is cold and I drive I get a whirring as well until it heats up a bit. It may just have something to do with the oil being harder to pump when cold. I'm no expert though so don't quote me on that. I also get that metallic rattle you're talking about when the engine is cold and I'm idling or giving it just a little gas. It goes away though when the car is in gear. I'm starting to think the whirring is normal, but I would really like to know what the metallic noise is.
strange that you have that from an auto....mine definately seems tied to my clutch, but maybe not. maybe me pushing the clutch changes the tension or something in the belt system causing the noise???
Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

The metallic rattle is the metal spacer plate between the engine and the trans. There is a TSB on it. I'm taking my car to the dealer next week to get it fixed. When the car is cold the plate vibrates against the flywheel. After the car warms up, it goes away. It is normally heard somewhere between 2500 and 3500 rpm. There is a thread about it.

I don't know about the whirring noise. The dealer printed off a list of all the TSB's for my car. I'll check it when I get home tonight to see if the whirring is one of them.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

The whirring noise sound, seems like it may be the grommet in your firewall going from the inside of the engine bay to where your pedals are. That's easy to check, so I would go take a look. If it is not sealed you will hear noise from wind etc...

-Jeff
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Cats??
How many miles on the car?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

The only TSB I see for a whistling/whirring noise has to do with a grooved nylon idler pulley.

Quick Reply: Ok Tech-Gurus, I have a tough one for ya...