Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a MMR Rear Delete Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 01:01 AM
JSlade8581
1st Gear Member

Default Do you have a MMR Rear Delete Kit?

I ask because I wanted to know... what does the kit ACTUALLY consist of? (Obviously, the carpeted boards...) I've been brewing an idea to use the kit as a base for a custom electronics / audio install (so I can keep the valuable trunk space), but I wanted to know from someone who has actually installed it if it's actually worth it.

Has anyone done this yet? If so, what'd you come up with?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:24 AM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Do you have a MMR Rear Delete Kit?

I haven't done it, but am in pretty much the same condition myself.

I would have already ordered the kit, and attempted it, however they do not make one for the 'vert yet.

So, I have started pulling my seats out to see what kind of work it would actually take to build the rear seat delete myself.

Amaingly, the lower part of the seat comes off really easily (two pins you have to push in one on each side, and it pops right out).

I haven't taken the top out yet, but it's only held in by two bolts and clips at the top. It's also fashioned so that it attaches to the fabric on the convertible top. I inspected this, and it slides out the side after you take the bolts out and unhook the clips at the top.

If I get enough time and good enough weather in the upcoming week, I may pull the top and bottom of the seat out and try building my own. If I have any sort of success, I'll post them on this forum.

So, what are you thinking of doing for your system?

I'm planning dual towers right behind each seat, with a 12 firing at the midsection and a 10 firing right behind the headrest. I was thinking of installing my NO2 kit between the towers for appearance. I still haven't figured out exactly where I want to put any additional amps yet.

My real question/concern is where to pick up the leads for the additional amp at. I know the shaker 500 (the system I have) doesn't have external low level aux outputs, and I would rather not have to wire into the back speakers, but I may end up having to as my only option. Have you thought about this yet? Do you have a better idea?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:15 AM
JSlade8581
1st Gear Member

Well, I've thought of the "serious" attempt, and then the "possibly silly" stuff too.

What I'd like to do is grab that Kenwood Excelion double din touchscreen head unit, so that I can hook up a navigation system and, through the aux input, possibly a computer system. (I'm a complete nerd, and that's always been a sort of interest for me to attempt.) The rear area would be specifically set up to for sub (8"? 12"? I haven't decided yet...) speakers behind the back (not the headrests) of the front seats, with an amp in the middle. I'd also like to add some lockable storage areas to extend accessible storage in the cabin. Also, if I can keep those forward areas shallow, it would extend the trunk area about that distance.

And, for the silly - imagine a retractable radar detector that would sit behind the driver approx just above head height that could be raised and lowered via either a switch or based on the car being turned on or off? Its definately doable - and it would be the right height to detect forward and back...

Anyway, that is just some of the thoughts. I don't know if I'd ever actually do it - but I'm thinking about it...
Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Loomis
1st Gear Member

I ordered my kit today should be here in 3 days will post once I get it. Hope it isnt crap.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:07 AM
n4ggs
2nd Gear Member

am i the only one who thinks that rear seats should be an option? i mean i would have pulled the rear seats in every car i have ever owned if it didnt look like ****
where is it for sale?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Loomis
1st Gear Member

This is where I got mine, it cost right around 159.00.

http://home.earthlink.net/~markluton...eningpage1.htm
Old 04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

I pulled my rear seats out today. They don't make the delete kit for the 'vert yet, so I wanted to see how hard it would be to make my own.

What I really want to comment on, is how much space that delete kit has to lose. I haven't actually seen it, but for it to fit in the car, it would have to come up at a pretty steep angle. I don't know that it would allow you much room for any type of system.

I'm debating methods on creating my own delete kit, because I want to be able to use all of the space that it appears the delete kit takes up/wastes. I guess this wouldn't be a problem if I just wanted to remove the seats, but trying to cram a system onto that might be difficult.

Anyone actually have one of these installed and can let us know how much room is left?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Loomis
1st Gear Member

Ok got the kit in last night, was easy to install, it was just 2 boards with black carpet. that you connect with push pins. They set the wrong install kit so off to Home depot it was. I did remove the seat belts out of the back and then pulled the side panels out to hide the shoulder staps since I couldnt remove those parts(bummer). It fit real well it is flimsy so you cant really mount anything in it such as speakers or such. Over all it looks good, and fits well. Carpet match was great. Still think it was a bit pricey for what you get but hey what are you going to do.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
JSlade8581
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info - I guess that I'll be looking for a custom / home-built solution!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Loomis
1st Gear Member

No problem.