Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda Adaptive Performance Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Steeda Adaptive Performance Calibration

Anyone else seen/heard of this? Just read about it this morning in an email from Steeda. Sounds interesting.

"Steeda announces a revolutionary solution to the calibration dilemma: The Adaptive Performance Calibration. Not a band-aid approach like all the other aftermarket calibrations, these are completely new computer instructions that have been integrated into the production Mustang engine powertrain control system that AUTOMATICALLY adapts to ALWAYS provide you with the best possible tune for the equipment you add to your car and for your specific driving conditions, fuel, aftermarket modifications without compromise to your vehicle’s engine management system and its subsystems.

Background

With the advent of this new “drive-by-wire” system technology in the S197 Mustang, the engine management architecture (aka: Spanish Oak) has evolved to be an extremely sophisticated, fully integrated system that constantly monitors multiple engine sensors and driver inputs in order to deliver the engine torque demanded by the driver.

The end result is that with the advent of this complex digital engine management system, today’s vehicles are able to deliver their power with improved performance all with smoother drivability and lower level emissions than cars of yesteryears.

However, today’s performance enthusiasts who want more from their vehicles have been left with very limited choices – all of which compromise one element or another of the beneficial state-of-the-art, digital engine management system Ford has created. All aftermarket modifiers have resorted to “trickery” to either shut down key sensors or even falsify those sensors into different modes of operations --- nearly always jeopardizing the integrity of engine management system and potentially exposing customers to risky situations that may result in a shutdown of key functions or in worst case scenarios – total engine failure.

Bottom Line

The drive-by-wire engine management system used in the Mustang is an outstanding system – the best on the market today – it is just not “Aftermarket Friendly”.

There are many different aftermarket solutions available today – but they all have their inherent shortfalls. They may work well in certain situations, under certain weather conditions, at a specific altitude, or with specific aftermarket equipment. But change the humidity, fuel octane, exhaust system, or make any other major or minor hardware adjustment, and you are back to the drawing boards to essentially “re-trick” your engine management system. Essentially you will have to keep your fingers crossed that it all works right in the end.

Face the facts – there is no way you are guaranteed to always get the best possible performance under all conditions when you are compromising the engine control system or not fully utilizing its performance sophistication and safety features. Moreover, although the engine management system used in the today’s production Mustang is an outstanding system, the only limitation being that it is designed as a static system.

Until now...

Steeda announces a revolutionary solution to the calibration dilemma: The Adaptive Performance Calibration. Not a band-aid approach like all the other aftermarket calibrations, these are completely new computer instructions that have been integrated into the production Mustang engine powertrain control system that AUTOMATICALLY adapts to ALWAYS provide you with the best possible tune for the equipment you add to your car and for your specific driving conditions, fuel, aftermarket modifications without compromise to your vehicle’s engine management system and its subsystems.

This new sophisticated calibration automatically adjusts as needed to always deliver the most horsepower and torque possible. The result is perfect drivability, full cruise control capabilities, complete safety systems monitoring and MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE AT ALL TIMES AND UNDER ALL CONDITIONS!!

Specifically the Adaptive Performance Calibration is best described as a “dynamic system” that provides the following features:
[ul][*]Supercharger Recognition: This feature allows the engine management system to recognize the presence of a supercharger, thereby, extending the engine-operating envelope for precision torque based control.[*]Adaptive Octane Sensing: It automatically senses the octane level of your fuel, and adjusts timing as needed so as to maximize your performance potential. In doing this, the powertrain computer looks at the history of related engine knock level, and remembers the sensitivity parameters for your specific engine.[*]Adaptive control within each system’s limits: Specifically, your engine calibration will automatically adjust so that no horsepower/torque levels will be delivered that exceed the capacity of your fuel pump, injectors, or mass air meter. [/ul]Remember that when engineering a high performance powertrain today that the key is not the “biggest”. Rather it is about creating a system where all components work together in harmony to deliver their maximum power. From the cold air intake, to the throttle body, fuel pump, and even your supercharger – all components and your calibration must work together in sync. At Steeda Autosports, we take the guesswork away and deliver the best performing calibration possible for your vehicle without compromise. In other words, the Steeda Adaptive Performance Calibration is constantly self-adjusting its engine calibration parameters to its environment in order to provide optimum performance which is only possible as a dynamic system.

The Steeda exclusive Adaptive Performance Calibration is currently available for 2007 and current 4.6L 3 valve Mustangs at a retail price of $399.

For more information:

Check out Steeda's Adaptive Strategy Writeup in our F.A.Q. Section by Clicking Here.

Steeda - Celebrating 20 Years of Innovation "
Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Adaptive Performance Calibration

Im skeptical... Because of the computer, these S197's aren't plug-and-play like previous mustangs and basically all other previous cars. If Steeda really found out how to make them plug and play.... then whoa. I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Imagine installing whatever you want and have the car adjust to it...

EDIT: Darn, it doesn't appear to be "Live" plug-and-play. Instead, it seems to let you pick what you have installed from a big list and then reflash your computer. Still cool... considering its the same price as a tuner.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Interesting. I would still debate the performance vs a really good tune from someone experienced in performance engine calibrations.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

I don't think it's too farfetched to believe that this could work. It sounds remarkably similar to the technology that comes with the new Bullitt. I doubt the power gains would be as much as those you would get from a Brenspeed or Bama tune, but the fact that (according to Steeda) you maintain emmisions compliance, the price, and the ability to upgrade the calibrations via disposable memory flash cards are all pretty appealing. Hopefully some new Steeda owners will post about their impressions of the system as it is now standard on all Steedas built since Feb 1.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

I don't think it's too farfetched to believe that this could work. It sounds remarkably similar to the technology that comes with the new Bullitt. I doubt the power gains would be as much as those you would get from a Brenspeed or Bama tune, but the fact that (according to Steeda) you maintain emmisions compliance, the price, and the ability to upgrade the calibrations via disposable memory flash cards are all pretty appealing. Hopefully some new Steeda owners will post about their impressions of the system as it is now standard on all Steedas built since Feb 1.
Exactly what I'm thinking... Theres no way Steeda can optimize the tune by just throwing a bunch of component selections together. In fact, they have to play it a little safe to cover their asses, just like tuners with built-in tunes have to do. I picture this Steeda thing as running like, for example, b@ma's regular tune, and not like b@ma's cool torque tune, which I'm so thankful I upgraded to...

Anyways, if I can easily go back to b@ma's tune and my computer isn't messed up, I may give this steeda thing a try. I'll contact them....
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I think I would stick with a dyno tune.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

my take on this is that it is unique because it is constantly adapting to changing conditions. Even with a dyno tune (and please correct me if I'm off base), that is a static calibration that creates the optimum performance for your car on that given day, at that given temp and humidity, and with that particular octane of fuel. This new Steeda calibrations seems to be able to constantly adapt to temps, humidity, octane, etc to "maximize" performance. I'm sure, as mentioned above, it is a less aggresive tune. But it is this ability to adapt that seems to make it different. Otherwise, what would be different about it from the Steeda canned tunes they have been offering for years?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

I'm going to let someone be the guinne pig first. I'm VERY skepticle. It just seems like one of those fix all type things.Too good to be true.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I thought at WOT all cars run an open-loop FI map anyway?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Im just so confused now!

Quick Reply: Steeda Adaptive Performance Calibration