Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the factory recommended spark plug for 05+ GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default What is the factory recommended spark plug for 05+ GT?

Motorcraft website says it is SP462, which looks like this:

But that doesn't look anything like the pictures people have been posting of the plugs they pull out when replacing them. It also looks nothing like the alternative Autolite HT1:

So what's the Motorcraft factory replacement part number? If it IS SP462, why does it look like that?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What is the factory recommended spark plug for 05+ GT?

that's not a SP462 in the illustration that you posted, the illustration of the autolite HT1
is what a SP462 looks like, I have a SP462 sitting here on my deskin front of me now.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Thanks. Every website that shows the SP462 has the picture I posted - guess they need to change it.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Autol...spagenameZWDVW

You need these for half price.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

So my only concern with using the autolites is that if down the road they break in the head on removal, Ford will have a built in excuse to deny any warranty claim since they are not the factory recommended plug.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:22 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

What's in there now?

Never mind. I know it is Motorcraft. You may have something there if they were going to replace them which they probably aren't.

Do a test. Sacrifice 2 plugs....one of each. Put em in a vise and with a torque wrench see where they break off at.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

What's in there now?

Never mind. I know it is Motorcraft. You may have something there if they were going to replace them which they probably aren't.

Do a test. Sacrifice 2 plugs....one of each. Put em in a vise and with a torque wrench see where they break off at.
You read my mind.I was planning to do the vise test, andI willif I decide to change them myself. However, I may have found a dealer who will cover the costs if a plug breaks (waiting to hear back from the service mgr). if so, I'll let them deal with it. And I'll make sure they replace them by requesteing to keep the old plugs.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I pulled mine at 25K (last week). They're autolites, not motorcraft...But, I thought autolites are stock, since its Ford's proprietary design.

But yes... They were tough to get out, but after doing 1 I was able to follow the same thing:Put in just a little break-loose liquid, like PB-Blaster or Krill, and wait 5 minutes. Then break the plug loose. Its all or nothing at that point, as I guess you'll just have to use more liquid if it doesnt break loose. mine did. After it breaks loose then just stop, and put in a little more liquid. I mean a little. Wait 5 minutes. Try to remove it. Youll notice its tough - but it moves - and thats what counts. It will creak like an old ship but if it turns then keep turning.

Dont use too much liquid! You can hydrolock the engine. I have on clue how much liquid that implies, but when I started my car up the biggest cloud of smoke erupted from the exhaust, due to the PBBlaster getting burned off. That liquid gets into the cylinder completely.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Here's a pretty good price on the Motorcraft:

http://k-mansparts.com/items/mustang...462-detail.htm
Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

I pulled mine at 25K (last week). They're autolites, not motorcraft...But, I thought autolites are stock, since its Ford's proprietary design.

But yes... They were tough to get out, but after doing 1 I was able to follow the same thing:Put in just a little break-loose liquid, like PB-Blaster or Krill, and wait 5 minutes. Then break the plug loose. Its all or nothing at that point, as I guess you'll just have to use more liquid if it doesnt break loose. mine did. After it breaks loose then just stop, and put in a little more liquid. I mean a little. Wait 5 minutes. Try to remove it. Youll notice its tough - but it moves - and thats what counts. It will creak like an old ship but if it turns then keep turning.

Dont use too much liquid! You can hydrolock the engine. I have on clue how much liquid that implies, but when I started my car up the biggest cloud of smoke erupted from the exhaust, due to the PBBlaster getting burned off. That liquid gets into the cylinder completely.
Thanks for the tips - every little bit helps.

So the factory plugs in your car were autolites?

Quick Reply: What is the factory recommended spark plug for 05+ GT?