Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a bike to save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a bike to save gas?

I have a Honda 919 and try to ride as much as I can. It does help with gas milage since my bike is paid off. It gets around 45 mpg.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I thought about spending my stimulus check on the car, but with the price of gas rising and likely to rise more and stay there, i've decided to buy a motorcycle to offset the cost of gas. I figure it will pay for itself in a few years.

I average 17.x mpg and that's what the computer says. I haven't actually calculated it in awhile.

I'm looking for a 200X suzuki sv650 incase anyone has one cheap. I'd like to make it look like this eventually.

http://www.sv650.org/gallery/pic19/page35.htm

I figure if I ride the bike half the time to and from work it would average out to almost 40mpg between the bike and the car. That's assuming 60mpg on the bike.
I hear that moose.....just be careful with these lovely idiot florida drivers....at least here in Tampa they have no respect for other car drivers let alone bikes....unfortunately I have been seeing more bikes sitting wrecked on SR 60 and other main roads with car/truck vs bike accidents on the rise....just be careful.....I definitely understand and agree with your thought process behind it.....I think I will buy a hyrbid toyota prius....LOL....(actually not) good luck to ya
Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

I hear that moose.....just be careful with these lovely idiot florida drivers....at least here in Tampa they have no respect for other car drivers let alone bikes....unfortunately I have been seeing more bikes sitting wrecked on SR 60 and other main roads with car/truck vs bike accidents on the rise....just be careful.....I definitely understand and agree with your thought process behind it.....I think I will buy a hyrbid toyota prius....LOL....(actually not) good luck to ya
The price difference between a fuel efficient car and a used motorcycle are staggering. When gas is $10 per gallon we will all be riding motorcycles.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steve O Chap

I've been riding/racing for 8 years now and trust me... getting a bike might save you some money in gas mileage, but will cost you LOTS more in other aspects.

For example: MSF, helmet, jacket(s), boots, gloves, insurance (full coverage a must for a newb or someone wihtout a garage), tires (replace every 3k-5k miles), trackdays...

That being said, the SV650 is a wonderful bike for newbs and those with loads of experience. I've ridden them stock and in race trim and they are an absolute blast. If you want to get a bike to save money, you're not likely too... if you want to get a ride and have fun with, go for it!
+ 1 After 40 years of riding I can say that I`ve met a ot of great people, had a lot of fun.
But, I`m pretty sure I didn`t "save" any money! LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

I'm selling my Bike this May.......Suzuki Boulevard M50 too many upgrades but incase your interested here are some pics to mull over.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
jdt141
1st Gear Member

who hoo! you're joining the right group of riders! I've got an 02sv, and i love the little bugger. great bike, awesome in the twisties.

check out www.svrider.com, that's actually where I picked mine up used. you should be able to find a used one for less than $4k with low mileage. love to see what you get.

by the way, blue is the fastest color. don't go for yellow or red
Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

I'm surprised you want a bike without a rear seat, or a rear fender at least. After posting those pics of your car covered with mud and mentioning the dirt/clay roads you travel on daily it looks like you will be getting a lot of that dirt on you!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yep, you should break even on gas in about 10-20 years between the cost of driving the Stang vs. keeping the Stang and the cost of the bike.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

prior to getting my blower I was gonna get a gsxr 1000. But because of my job I cant get a bike [:@].
Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

That's true Rick....

Just don't try anything you saw Steve McQueen do in The Great Escape.......

Quick Reply: Buying a bike to save gas?