Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotorpros rotors installed kinda...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

Default rotorpros rotors installed kinda...

so i started the day off by driving down to look at a 66 coupe. guy wanted 5000 for it said he would sell it for 3800. looked sweet from a distance and then BAM - rust everywhere.. oh well. the search continues...

i get back home and start jacking up my wife's 01 vert. long story short, rotated the tires, bleed the brake lines, put on new rotorpro rotors, and ceramic pads, painted the calipers black, and put some rubberized undercoating in the fenderwells. (7 hours from start to finish)
here's the bit$h with her car - on the front driver's side caliper there was a frozen bolt. i did everything i knew to get the darn thing loose. i ended up BREAKING 4 15mm sockets, 1 15mm deep socket, 1 3/8in extension, and BENT a ratchet. ( good thing i have extra tools lying around ) i ended up using a gator socket to get the thing out. had the gator tool since i was 16 and never used it.

then i pull my car up in the garage and start jacking it up. installing (rotorpros rotors, ceramic pads, painting calipers, mustang decals) got all the wheels off and start taking the calipers off. i painted them awhile ago with engine enamel and am in the process of scraping it all off. I bought some vista blue G2 paint that i plan on repainting them with. got the rears off and cleaned, at this point i ran out of brake cleaner and i don't have any more 15mm sockets to take the fronts off i gotta wake up early tommrow and go to walmart so i can paint my calipers in the morning so they have time to dry.

time for sleep

any one know what tool is used to twist the rear caliper piston back in? or where i can get it? i picked up one at autozone that kinda worked on my wife's car ( i had to grind down 2 corners.) but it won't work on my mustang.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rotorpros rotors installed kinda...

Whoa! What a job!!!

Getting someone to do mine for me......I can't handle that kind of stress!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

About the tool.... I dont know. Our calipers must be pushed in WHILE being turned clockwise (maybe you already knew that)

But I can tell you I used a tie-rod fork and basically pushed against the piston (the fork fit into the grooves) and then I twisted the fork with a wrench while pushing. Confusing, I know, but you get the idea.

Rent something from autozoneimo
Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kdrshocker

any one know what tool is used to twist the rear caliper piston back in? or where i can get it? i picked up one at autozone that kinda worked on my wife's car ( i had to grind down 2 corners.) but it won't work on my mustang.
I always use a half open pair of needle nose pliers.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

You don't have to rent anything.. There's a cube that you can buy at any auto parts store.. It fits on a 3/8" driver, and each of the 6 sides has a different pattern on it to fit rear calipers.

Here's a picture of it.

http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/car...563-52334.aspx
Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 AM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

i have that cube, i had to grind off the 2 posts and it worked fine onmy wife's car- but not on mine.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Maybe you ground off the side that would have worked on your car?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

Maybe you ground off the side that would have worked on your car?
lol that's funny
Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

you know, for what those 5 wal-mart sockets cost you, you would have had one snap-on one that wouldnt have broken :P
Old 03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

i broke - 1 snapon, 1 husky, 1 craftsman, 1 stanley, 1 cobalt.....

i just got back from autozone - bought the caliper compression kit for 35. not too bad of a deal (could have rented it, but i work on too many cars.) napa and advanced auto parts want 60+ for their set. now off to the garage to finish the d@mn job!

Quick Reply: rotorpros rotors installed kinda...