Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who want to paint their rims.....

Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
lukas77
1st Gear Member

Default For those who want to paint their rims.....

Ok. First off you need to thoroughly check the condition of your wheels.

Here's the list of what you'll need to get the job done right:

1. Bulldog Adhesive - 1 can should work for all 4 wheels(maybe 2 though) depending on how much you put on there.

2. DupliColor Graphite(if they are gonna be black)Wheel paint - this is sold at AutoZone and I think Wal-Mart as well. 1 can per wheel should be fine..but no guarantees).

3.ClearCoat - Most any automotive body clearcoat should work fine, just
don't get the kind made for engines(it will turn yellow over time).I used 1
can for each wheel.

4. Sandpaper - I suggest the 3M types that are made for wet and dry
automotive sanding.(400 grit to 1000 grit or so).

Now you're ready to go:
First off...you want to clean the wheels well with a
degreaser(SimpleGreen,Greased Lightning..whatever). After they are clean, you want to wet-sand the wheels, all you need to do is remove the clear-coat on the wheels so the paint will stick properly.. Start with somewhere between a 400 and 600 grit and work up to like 1000 grit or so. I started with 400, then went to 800. Do whatever you think is best with that though.
Remember, all you have to do is remove the clearcoat. You will most likely go thourhg a lot of sandpaper to do all 4 wheels, but be patient cause it can be time consuming...the better job you do at sanding, the better your wheels will look like in the end. When you finish wet-sanding them...clean them up with soap and water. After that, mask off your tires with duct tape of something else. Fortunately I didn't have tires on mine so that made it a whole lot easier. Start with the Bulldog Adhesive. Follow the directions on the back of the can. I did the 1st coat very lightly and let it dry for about 15 minutes or so. It helps to do this on a sunny, non-humid day to promote proper drying. I then did a good solid 2nd coat and let it dry for about 20-30 mins. I followed with a 3rd coat to make sure I got all the nooks and crannies, but I don't know if this was necessary or not. I let the adhesive dry for at least an hour before i started to paint. I follow the same process with the paint as I did with the Bulldog Adhesive. There's no perfect way to paint wheels, so you'll just have to experiment to find the best way for you. For the first coat, I just lightly sprayed the fron of the wheel and the inside. When I started the second coat, I started with the sides of the spokes and tried to get those as best as possible before moving on. Keep the can about 8-12 inches away from the wheel and use a sweeping motion. Don't put on too heavy of a coat because it WILL run and you'll be really pissed. When the cans start to run empty, the will begin to spray out in clumps, so be mindful of that.
Once again, be patient and take your time. Allow about 20 mins after the
first light coat, and 30 minutes between heavy coats.

Follow the same process with the clearcoat. The clearcoat I used was thinned than the paint and there were several times that it looked like it wanted to run. I just did a bunch of light coats on each wheel. Don't worry about the clear-coat being a gloss finish, they won't be nearly as shiny once the clear-coat fully dries. The more clear coat you put on each wheel, the better they will be at resisting small scrathes and other stuff like that.

Just take your time. I was very pleased with my results. I was out of work a few weeks ago, so I just took my time. I think I did 2 wheels each day, but I guess you could go as fast of as slow as you want. I felt good about doing these myself and was suprised the outcome was so good. I also refused to spend $300 on having them powdercoated, even if it does last longer. That's about all I can think of for now. Good Luck

Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
lukas77
1st Gear Member

Default RE: For those who want to paint their rims.....

Made a mistake ignore the Duplicolor Graphite part!!! Should read Gloss black !!! Sorry
Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

lukas77 - before you post something like your "how to" make sure you say it wasn't your post and dosn't even pertain to a mustang, give credit to someone who deserves it. you could be sued....

see below for what i'm talking about -
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=6455

"Welcome to TeamSwift
Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts !
Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus."

cause everyone in this forum drives a Geo Metro....
Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
lukas77
1st Gear Member

Never claimed it was my write up !!! Next time I make sure to give credit where credit is due.