MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   KEEP THE 06 GT?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/414733-keep-the-06-gt.html)

SANANTONIO06GT 03-04-2008 04:39 AM

KEEP THE 06 GT??

I am having a dillema. I have an opportunity to get a 03 Cobra with a full Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, looked like the smaller pulley was added, short throw and a lot of other goodies. I stopped by and gave it a look and started it, but that was it. I was going to go back today and take it for a spin to see how it handles. I have about3 grand in the GT, that includes labor. I dont know if I ever will add a whipple to the GT, which I would love to have.The guys I work with tell me keep what I have, but none of them are mustang freaks. I have to ask the experts on here and see what you guys think?? Go to jordanford.com and look under the used inventory to see the pics.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

TJW 03-04-2008 05:01 AM

RE: KEEP THE 06 GT??

Keep your GT

It is definitely a good looking Cobra but consider...
It's a five year old high performance car on a used car lot
that has been modified for MORE performance, the full extent of the mods are unknown but you can be fairly certain they weren't put on for looks. It's probably been run hard, which in small doses won't hurt it but what if most of its 17K miles have been put on 1/4 mile at a time or at the local autocross or drifting circuit?
Why trade in a perfectly good car that you already know for one that you really know nothing about.

MUSTANGLOVER73 03-04-2008 05:12 AM

I think you should keep your gt. Im sorry to all who have them but i thinkall mustangs that were built between 94 and 04 are butt ugly. The new mustangs look sooo good. I also had this option when i bought my 06. a 03 yellow cobra vert or my tungsten gt. It was an easy decision for me.

AK_Kayaker 03-04-2008 05:25 AM

I will agree with the above posters and say keep the 06.
I also could have bought an 03 Cobra for less than my 07, but just liked the look of the S197 much better.
But as always, you must do what makes you happy.

DuFFMaNN 03-04-2008 05:33 AM

NO WAY. Sell your GT and jump on that cobra.
Pros
1. Faster
2. more potential
3. Will hold value MUCH better.
4. Looks 10x better.
5. Sounds 10000x better

Cons
1. um....people mistake it for a normal GT?
2.....um....I can't think of another

Choice is clear. Cobra.

If you want an unbiased opinion, try offtopic, or general tech.

Kara 03-04-2008 07:33 AM

I dont like any mustangs other than the s197. Yeah yeah the 03 cobra is fast. BUT the 06 looks WAY better, built better, way more comfy!!!! I say keep your gt. I definately think you will regret it

DuFFMaNN 03-04-2008 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Kara

I dont like any mustangs other than the s197. Yeah yeah the 03 cobra is fast. BUT the 06 looks WAY better, built better, way more comfy!!!! I say keep your gt. I definately think you will regret it
Have you ever sat in a 03 cobra? I have sat is all kinds of mustangs, hell cars in general, and the 03 cobras are one of the most comfortable. (Top 3 being an aston martin db9. e320 Benz, and 1969 Shebly GT500.)

and IMO it looks WAY better than a s197 stock for stock.

Built better? In what way?
s197 can take 500 hp
Cobra can take 1000 hp

Maybe the IRS has some problems, but thats only if you are hardcore dragracing.

But honeslty it is your personal opinion. I love both cars, but it would be a very hard decision between a new Shelby and an 03 Cobra. Its all what YOU want. You will find a huge following to both, and people who dislike both.

GRABBER CS 03-04-2008 05:36 PM

It's definitely a hard decission because the 03 cobra is all out awesome performance car!! But as was stated before, you have know idea what this car has been thru. I would stay with the 06 gt that you know and supercharge it!!!!

ryanralston07 03-04-2008 05:52 PM

You could get the 03 that has been most likely beat on SEVERLY, or you could keep your car and just beef it up with time. What I mean is that you could throw in a forged stroker kit into this engine and gain some performance there, then maybe head work, cams, and eventually a supercharger and have a car that is just as capable as the 03, more comfy than the 03, better looking than the 03, better handling than the 03, NEWER, personalized/customized by you (love the car more), and a car that you can be proud of years down the road. JMO though...

r3velation 03-04-2008 05:55 PM

i just got back from santa monica ford and test drove a zinc yellow 03 cobra vert. i gotta say, i had the opportunity to buy one a couple years back, but held off cuz i couldn't fit as comfortably as i wanted to. i like to sit upright, with very little tilt and about 10 inches from the steering wheel. when i did that in the cobra, my head was probably an inch into the headliner. the choice was clear for me, 05-08 mustang, more headroom. the performance of the 03-04 cobras are UNDOUBTEDLY amazing.

but..throw a supercharger and some other goodies in the s197 and you're just as satisfied.