Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s For Those W/. SHR Flush Louvers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ?'s For Those W/. SHR Flush Louvers...

He's talking about someone else. They broke his window without protecting the interior and left pieces of glass all over the place.

Dustin
Old 03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

It can be done by breaking out the glass I just wanted to keep mine. It has value to someone if not me. Also I don't throw anything away so breaking out the glass was not an option to me. Again it can be done that way.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Those 2 pieces of glass are worth several hundred dollars, thats a good reason not to break them. However if I had it to do again I would break them and install the louvers myself rather than have a shop do it.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]

that's what degrees in english, philosophy and education will get ya - too bad i don't get paid more, though. ha!
[/quote]

Funny mine is in Psychology and Public Relations but I work in accounting....
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I paid about $75 for my dealer to install mine, so you might want to check around. Considering the price of everything needed to install, plus your time, and possibility of screwing it up, I'd shop around. I love these things. So much better than all the stick-on louvers.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

I did it myselft becuase I wanted to try doing stuff myself. I am NOT mechanically inclined. Cost wise for me it would have been better to pay someone 80 bucks to do it tho. Thedang tube of adhesiveended up blowing back out on me, black shxxxxt all over the gun, ruined it, right in the middle of applying it to the first side. Ihad to junk the gun, clean up, let the adhesivewhichI had already half-applied dry, then clean it off, run out to get more adhesive (which was not as highly rated as that which you get from SHR) and a new gun...blah blah blah.

I dont recommend breaking the glass to install. That is just half-assing it.How will you know your seams are true when you go to water test it? You need access to the inside of the window with the paneling off in orderto visibly inspect that your seals are intact. Additionally if the glass shatters it might get in between the paneling and the body, and then you will have a rattle.

Things I learned:

*The 3M adhesive that you buy from SHR has a higher strength rating that what you can get at a local automotive store (Napa was the only one I could find anything similar at.) I/you would have had to special order it and waited longer.Worth it to buy it, and the other stuff, from them.

*By a small paint pen/touch up bottlefrom your dealer that matches your color code in case you mar your paint (not that I did that...)

*Buy a handful of the push-pin retaining clips which hold the plastic paneling in place. If memory serves me there are two right below the bench seat in the front. Pry one out and bring it to the dealer parts desk....or to a local automotive store to color and size match. These are handy as they can be mangled upon removal. get like 6 or 10 just in case.

*Usea bigbead of adhesive. You can always push the louver in to get it flush mounted. If your bead is smaller/smallish, it will compress further when you mount the louver and guess what? It ain't comin' off for nothin'.

*Make SURE TO INSPECT the louvers when you get them. Hold them up to a strong light source and look through them from both sides to ensure proper and total coating. See final comment from note above.

during install:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...inglouvers.jpg

after install:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...terlouvers.jpg

both louvers:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...erscloseup.jpg

Good luck and ORDER NOW! they are killer!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

thanks again for all the info, guys! i'll keep you updated once i decide what i'm going to do, and where i might be able to take it for install, etc.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
PinupGirl77
ROTM Moderator

ORIGINAL: ink003

these damn things have been calling to me, but for the $$$, i haven't been able to pull the trigger. my friendly neighborhood tax preparer just gave me a reason to, however . so, my questions:

1. please tell me i don't have to buy all the other crap they advertise on their website, i.e. window removal kit, 3m adhesive and 3m adhesive promoter. can i buy these materials cheaper elsewhere? are they worth buying from shr? can't i remove the car's windows with simple tools and elbow grease?

2.shr warns that it takes 4-6 weeks after order placement for delivery. true? and when do they bill the credit card? upon order or shipment?

thanks guys!!
I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but Silver Horse Racing is awesome. I have bought many of thier products and I have had no problems. I just bought the grill inserts and love them. I have thier: Honeycomb back panel, fuel door, cup holder bezel, and shifter bezel. [8D]
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

jlaurens06gtthanks for the input, that is one of the best do-it-yourself write ups I've seen on here.

Thanks