Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny noise while out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Beholdthecow

Default Tranny noise while out of gear

Hi all,

I spent some time looking around here, and while I found a lot of posts regarding tranny noise on the manual 05 V6 models (we have a loud transmission...), I havnt run into this before. My tranny makes a kind of rubbing noise when it is in neutral with the clutch out. It is not so much a grinding, more like something is just rubbing inside the transmission. If you press the clutch in, it goes away. Let it out, it comes back. In gear, I dont notice anything, and I have had no other trouble. The volume of it seems to vary, seemingly depending on which gear you have just come out of, but I cant really confirm any definite patterns.

I am currently at the dealer getting some minor things fixed before my warrenty runs out in a couple of weeks, and the tech said that it is something that Ford is aware of, and that they are awaiting a TSB about it. He said it usually shows up around 16k miles, and that they are not yet sure what causes it.

Anyone else hear anything about this? It seems odd that Ford would just now be getting around to finding a fix for this, especially since its an 05 model and it shows up so early in the car's life (around 16k). The car is in the shop now, so I will know more in a bit, but I wanted to pose the question to the MF experts .

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Wizzle07GT

Default RE: Tranny noise while out of gear

Sounds like your describing a throw out bearing noise, however 16k is extremely early for it to be going out.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
gjs14
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wizzle07GT

Sounds like your describing a throw out bearing noise, however 16k is extremely early for it to be going out.
yes I had the same thing in my 05 gt 5 speed and i had to get a new cluch/throw out beating.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I concur!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Beholdthecow

Any other ways to make sure its a throwout bearing? What other symptoms would it cause?

I will talk to the techs (I'm still at the shop ) and see what they say. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Wizzle07GT

Another symptom is a vibration in the clutch pedal. By varying volume do you mean that if @ say 40 mph you put it in neutral and let it coast to a stop...it is louder when you come to a stop? if this is the case, does it get quieter if you push the clutch back in and release it again?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

lol my gt has 9k on it and its startin to make the infamous throw out bearing grind in nuetral. im ganna need a clutch this year lol
Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Beholdthecow

Any other ways to make sure its a throwout bearing? What other symptoms would it cause?

I will talk to the techs (I'm still at the shop ) and see what they say. Thanks.
Apply light pressure to the clutch pedal, just enough to take out the free travel (slop) If the noise changes, it`s a fair assumption that it`s caused by the throw out bearing. Not all T.O.B`s that rattle are defective, they just have enough slop to make somenoise.

To "jawsGT": replacing the T.O.B. need not entail replacing the clutch
Old 03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

to "99flhr" i know but u gatta figure ur already down there and with the amount of drag racing im goin to do this year i might as well replace it with a spec stage 4 or something rite lol. i know a 4 is overboard but i had 1 in my ws-6 and loved it. i like a chatter no slip clutch
Old 03-04-2008, 04:00 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

^ Can`t argue with that.

Quick Reply: Tranny noise while out of gear