Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever change their own gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: anyone ever change their own gears?

If you decide to do them, I was looking into it, as I do have other vehicles if needed and you can't learn if you don't do it, I found this write up.

http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html
Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

It's a fun job, I did it in an old Nova before!
And by fun I mean not fun!!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the links and input. I am definately not scared to do this. Yes, I am asking input from folks who have done it...as in...mistakes learned, what to watch out for, tips, etc... Many on this thread have shared lots of info, and i thank you for that.

If you read the entire post you will see that Im trying this on my 94 f150 first.... for the reason of towing my camper. I have 4 vehicles, so Im not in any hurry. I have researched this for over a month, and will research for some more, then do it. I will say that there is nothing that I have put my mind to in this life that I couldnt accomplish... except for that first marriage to that B@tch!!! Seriously, I understand that many folks wouldnt do it, im not knocking you for it.. thats what mechanics are for...if you cant, they will.

Thanks for the links to write ups on folks that have done it, keep em coming! I am reading every one!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
07Mustang3:73
1st Gear Member

I change the gears on my car from 3:31 to 3:73's I did have help of a local shop with a lift but overall I had a good hand in it. I plan to put the 3:31's in my F150 to make it a little better on the highway. I will do those the same way. I had to pay a case of beer to use the lift but overall a very good value. You should consider using Amsoil for your gear lube this will help with the wear on the new gears. That is what I used in my mustang and will also use in the F150.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 AM
stangj

its easy i don't know why pepole are scared to do this, if i was you i do it save money for more gofast goodes
Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I've been through this a couple of times. I don't know what the experience of some of the other people replying might be, but this job is enough different from, say,bolt-on engine mods that you should approach it with a slightly different attitude.

1. Some don't have the equipment, or even most of it. They may not even be comfortable using it even if it was available. It doesn't occur to many people to make their own "tools" just to make the job go easier. You can make a nice, almost waist-high,stand for torquing down the ring gear bolts from an old axle shaft bolted to an old brake drum that's welded to some scrap steel plate - way better than trusting the vice in most home garages/shops once you get it strong enough and stable enough.

2. They may not understand what they're measuring, what sources of error exist in the measurement process, or the usefulness in re-measuring everything.

3. They don't understand what the contact pattern means.

4. They may not understand the importance of cleaning inside the pumpkin and axle tubes thoroughly.

5. Not enough patience to check and re-check, especially when working with the shim packs. Backlash is not normally constant, so you're sort of looking for a "good average" where any measurement regardless of which ring and pinion teeth are engaged is within the acceptable range.

I'm also not at all inclined to use anylube other than what either the differential mfr or the gear mfr specifically recommend. I am assuming that the diff mfr will have a limited slip additive recommendation, as applicable.

A word on break-in - take it easy. Follow the instructions. Your first easy drive should involve various moderate speeds, no highway driving,and be perhaps 40 or 50 miles worth. I guarantee that the diff cover will be hotter than you can stand to hold bare-handed when you're done. That's the break-in process at work, which is sort of like a final polishing under heavy pressure. Let it cool down fully, typically overnight (heat trapped in the internal bits seems to take forever to be dissipated into the atmosphere), and repeat. With any luck, it won't be as hot the second time. I went through three or four such cycles before I was happy with the diff temperature on the last go-round (3.73's and an Auburn Pro-Series diff).

Norm
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

go for it....update us!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: MN Moose

ORIGINAL: 157db

If you feel the need to ask, stay away from the project.
Gears are not for shadetrees to mess with.
Have it professionally done with some sort of guarantee
that the gears wont shell within 1500 miles.

Case in point, this guy. Have you ever attempted to install rear end gears? Or have you even seen it done for that matter? He didn't ask if he "should try it", he is asking for tips from anyone who has done it.
Yes I have installed rear end gears, thank you.
I have worked on more rear ends than you have owned in your lifetime.
I am a factory trained Mercury Outboard Mechanic.
I also have extensive experience with setting up outboard motor lower units.
I have also worked on many inboard/outboard lower units. They all have
gears that need to be set-up to factory backlash specs.

Case in point, this guy (MN Moose) who speaks without knowing...

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/2CD9C080E55F462B8B86DDF20681A936.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

My mistake then 157-

Why would you encourage this guy to take it to a shop? If you set up as many gears as you say and if you read his entire first post, than why would you say steer clear?

Anyways, if you read his first post in its entirety, you would know that he is going to practice on his truck first. I'm 18 years old and I installed 3.73 gears and a tlok in the rear end of my car. The only instruction i had was from examples on the internet. It's not as difficult as people make it seem.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

MN Moose - wherein MN are you from?

Quick Reply: anyone ever change their own gears?