Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever change their own gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone ever change their own gears?

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

Thanks to all those who said to give it a shot. And to anyone who is thinking about doing this yourself, dont be scared, it really is easy if you just take your time.
It's easy if you take your time and study the thing enough ahead of time to know where you're going when you finally do break out the tools and get dirty. I think that's where a lot of driveway DIY "mechanics" come up short, and where you, individually, started from a somewhat better position.

superslow - I also think that you could probably have done the job with better preparation and a bit more patience and study ahead of time. That's assuming that you can work that way (I also know that not everybody can). But I'm guessing that you went at it like a flat-rate tech (just git-er-done and move on to whatever's next), which is precisely the wrong approach to take the first time you attempt anything that requires careful measurements and adjustments. My son-in-law used to be a shop tech, and his approach always struck me as being a little too hasty with the tools and a little too light on the thought processes.

Norm
Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

don't do it.........go to a transmission guy.......you can burn out the gear in a span of 15 mins if not done right
Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buster

don't do it.........go to a transmission guy.......you can burn out the gear in a span of 15 mins if not done right
Read the post, I already did it, and with total sucess! The short version is I bought a 3 hour how to dvd, I had all the tools including press, bearing pullers, calipers, etc... all I had to buy was the parts and a 1 1/16 socket. The gears are running great with 100 miles since the install. I will drop the pan in a bit to inspect. Never one second of whining, just pure 4.10 satisfaction.

Yeah, you should take your time, which I did. The job would probably take me 5-6 hours next time, took 12 this time, because I was in no hurry. I actually enjoyed the install and found it to be satisfying and rewarding. I would do it again with no hesitation. Theres seems to be a mystery around installing gears in my opinion, so most just say don't do it. However, If they had the tools and patience and researched enough, they would fine it easy.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else who has actually done it?
I'm sure you may have already found this in your research. Measure your backlash BEFORE tearing apart the rear and use that as your reference when you put everything back together.You can go by the manual for what the recommended backlash is but many times that doesn't take into account wear in or your specific car (like comparing a canned tunevs a dyno tune). Most of the complaints about whining you hear is from the backlash being improperly set (thus the wrong shimming).

Also check your pinion angle before tearing things apart. Another reason the rear may exhibit gear whine. Like backlash there's textbook and real life settings. The Real Life setting is always best.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buster

Read the post, I already did it, and with total sucess! The short version is I bought a 3 hour how to dvd, I had all the tools including press, bearing pullers, calipers, etc... all I had to buy was the parts and a 1 1/16 socket. The gears are running great with 100 miles since the install. I will drop the pan in a bit to inspect. Never one second of whining, just pure 4.10 satisfaction.

Yeah, you should take your time, which I did. The job would probably take me 5-6 hours next time, took 12 this time, because I was in no hurry. I actually enjoyed the install and found it to be satisfying and rewarding. I would do it again with no hesitation. Theres seems to be a mystery around installing gears in my opinion, so most just say don't do it. However, If they had the tools and patience and researched enough, they would fine it easy.
Great job man. You definitely had the right attitude for the job and that's more than half the battle right there. The only question I have is, how did you get it all done with only $5 worth of beer?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

any update on this?