Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
dmbeard

Default frame??

My car was just recently gott-boned in my apartment parking lot by some kid who was driving way to fast. The insurance company gave me a shop to go to. Now i'm not to techinal savy but i know my way around my car fairly well. This particular shop told me that my car didn't have a frame... now i could be a dumbass, but its my understanding that every car has a frame, including the s197. i drove my car home and want to contact my insurance for another shop. my question is, am i retarded thinking that my baby has a frame,or does the s197 not have a frame?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
jpc256

Default RE: frame??

The Mustang is a uni-body car and does not have a separate frame. The frame and body are built as one-piece.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

First, You take Your car to any body shop that you want to take it to. You do not have to take it to the shop they want. The dealerships are usually the highest dollar amount. I would ask around as who is the best auto body shop in your area and take it there. Also remember to tell them you only want New OEM parts. Now to your question, their is no frame per say on our cars.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: dmbeard

My car was just recently gott-boned in my apartment parking lot by some kid who was driving way to fast. The insurance company gave me a shop to go to. Now i'm not to techinal savy but i know my way around my car fairly well. This particular shop told me that my car didn't have a frame... now i could be a dumbass, but its my understanding that every car has a frame, including the s197. i drove my car home and want to contact my insurance for another shop. my question is, am i retarded thinking that my baby has a frame,or does the s197 not have a frame?
FYI, they've been building uni-body cars from the 60s, so it's not new.
Typically, you have frame rails welded in the front and the back, but not connected to each other.
They are not full length.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:38 PM
07Mustang3:73
1st Gear Member

Take your car to a reputable shop and make the person who hit your car fix it the right way. You will never be happy with your car unless it is fixed to your satisfaction. Make sure you inspect the car with a fine tooth comb before you accept it back. You may also want to hire a professional inspector at the other persons expense to ensure the job is done right. I have been doing this job for several people over the years and have found very poor work that has been passed off as a good job.. My point is that if you are not comfortable with the shop find one that you are. If you were in Indianapolis I have a great shop to take it to.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
dmbeard

Learn something new everyday. He is paying for it and i am nowtaking it to a shop that i am familiar with. As for the inspector, i don't know of any around here but i will definately be looking for someone. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:24 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

It's still a frame rail, but it is more pronounced than the vintage Mustangs. They had a front and rail frame section, and basically, what held the center of the car together was the floor pans, the center hump and the roof. Now factor in rusted floor boards and you see the result. Wouldn't have made a good derby car.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:50 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

It's still a frame rail, but it is more pronounced than the vintage Mustangs. They had a front and rail frame section, and basically, what held the center of the car together was the floor pans, the center hump and the roof. Now factor in rusted floor boards and you see the result. Wouldn't have made a good derby car.
The rocker rails / rocker panels were the critical strength member for the center section. When they went the car would start to flod in half, especiall the convertables.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I never had a problem with the rocker panels. Had many a floor pan go and on a 69 Fastback. had a refridgerator wire shelf in under the carpet to keep my feet from doing a Fred Flintstone. Only thing that held it in was the fuel line.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 AM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

Useless trivia:

Unit construction (unibody)
First used by Lancia in 1923
First mass production, Chrysler Airflow & Citroen in 1934

Quick Reply: frame??