MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Steeda's throttle body spacer to aid CMDP? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/415701-steedas-throttle-body-spacer-to-aid-cmdp.html)

ohnoesaz 03-06-2008 09:42 AM

Steeda's throttle body spacer to aid CMDP?

Ok so... We all know how wonderful Ford's charge-motion butterfly design is. The air disruption it provides is huge in providing low-end torque in such a small displacement engine.

But people like me put in CMDP because we don't want air restrictions in the engine. Although a good tune can help make gains, nothing quite makes up for the fact that all air disruption is gone.

Sooo, we know throttle body spacers are stupid, generally speaking. But Steeda's design has grooves in it meant to disrupt air and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on if this will help out those who use CMDP gain some torque back? Or are the grooves too small to disrupt air enough?

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/..._spacer_lg.jpg

acascianelli 03-06-2008 09:46 AM

RE: Steeda's throttle body spacer to aid CMDP?

I've been very anti throttle body spacers in the past, but if it actually works like you think, I'll buy one today. I've seen alot of people say that they do in fact work when combined with other mods, but nobody has been able to give any evidence to support this.

offrdmania 03-06-2008 09:52 AM

Only way to know is to put your car on the dyno before the TBS and then again after it is installed and look for gains

ohnoesaz 03-06-2008 10:02 AM

Yeah another reason Im asking is Steeda uses the CMDP on its NA car, and also uses the grooved spacer, so I'm wondering if they know something we don't know about gaining back air disruption for torque.

Nuke 03-06-2008 10:31 AM

Or perhaps they own stock...

Chris D 03-06-2008 10:45 AM

I replaced a K&N Aircharger CAI with Bama Tunes 93 octane tune with the Steeda CAI, high flow inlet and TBS on my 2006 GT. After I downloaded and installed the Steeda tune (with my SCT tuner) all I can say is DAMN! That combination made a huge difference in torque and acceleration. I don't know how much difference the TBS alone made, but I'm happy anyway. Itcosts less than $100 and looks cool installed under the hood........

onederful100 03-06-2008 10:56 AM

dont waste your money

acascianelli 03-06-2008 11:03 AM

I've always thought TB spacers were relics of carburated and TBI motors. Completly useless these days thanks to current fuel injector technology.

157dB 03-06-2008 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

I've always thought TB spacers were relics of carburated and TBI motors. Completly useless these days thanks to current fuel injector technology.

The weight they add negates any HP gains. :D

I would think the air would be straightened
back out once it got into the intake runners
and down to the intake valves by the injectors.

ohnoesaz 03-06-2008 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

The weight they add negates any HP gains. :D

I would think the air would be straightened
back out once it got into the intake runners
and down to the intake valves by the injectors.
Thats probably correct.... But, I can dream anyways. I think it makes up slight sense, but the grooves aren't big enough to make a difference.

Someone should design a manifold when grooves to disrupt air straight into the cylinder, to make CMDP a much better install.