Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the hate for shorty headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Why the hate for shorty headers?

i respect the GTO's they are fast cars.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

GTOs are far faster than 14.9...he just cant drive
Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

GTOs are far faster than 14.9...he just cant drive
+1 especially the 6.0 gtos they are really quick.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 8URGTO

Yes, several times..... Let me guess you like them or own one of them???? True, if they are modded well, it's a hell of a car.....
The races that I've had with them??? 14.9 in the quarter was the best that he could do that night. I did a 14 flat stock down to the stock oil.. Ohhhh well. I won't even get to the street brawls that I've had with them... highway and stoplight to stoplight.

No, I don`t have one, it was an honest question. Iasked because it was my understanding that "stock to stock" the 6.0 400hp GTO is faster than a 4.6 300hpGT.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I like my JBA Shorties.......and my FRPP X-Pipe, and my Brenspeed 93 Tune, and my Airaid CAI, and my 3.73 FRPP Gears, and my Hurst Comp + Shifter and my etc etc etc.......
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

I've got American Racing Longtubes with a catted H-pipe. I don't regret getting them, mainly due to the way they improved the sound of the car,and since I've become obsessed with modding, I know I would never have been satisfied without them.

But they were expensive as hell, and I didn't really get a big gain in horsepower. And, due to the movement of the 02 sensors, I've been getting check engine lights ever since,although my dynotuner has told me they are working on a solution (for those who might ask, they are aware of the O2 transport delay, but just haven't found it always fixes the problem).

I've had no clearance issues, then again, I'm not lowered.

The sound is just beautiful, though, and turns heads everywhere. Worth every penny. Not many S197s out on the road that sound like my car, especially all the stock ones rolling around.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

OMGGGGG... please tell me we are not starting the GTO / stang battle... THE GOAT LOST BEFORE THE ARGUMENT STARTED!!!!!!

heres my facts... or what i have been told by intellegent, ASE certified ppl.. GTO's have IRS (independant rear suspenion).. which = **** on the track.. they also loose a **** load to the wheels because of it.. and on top of that they are HEAVY!!!.. the fact that they stop making them has to say something other than ppl werent buying them!..

i have two friends who both own ls2's.. i have raced them both and pulled on them both.. and on higway, i forgot it was a race becaue he didnt even stay with me in the begining..

i love that fact that ppl believe that bc there car is factory 400 HP.. that it really has that.. your $35,000 car with "400HP" vs my $29,000 car with "300HP"... my 300 turns into about 260-265 Rear wheel.. your 400 turns into about 330-340.. you can thank your IRS for playing a big part in that.. and also your weight..

i will however admit that your 6.0 liter vs my 4.6 (1.4 more liters!!!!!!!!!) sounds better when the exhaust is played with.. but the sad thing is.. you need that big of an engine to keep up.. but if we were back in the 70's.. i would take a GTO over a 70 stang all day.. but those were different days for the ol' GOAT

and now the GTO owners can bash me, flame me.. and do whatever the fck you want... either way... your going to feel like "God" bc you've got "400 hp"..

one more thing.. if we took the $5k extra that you spent to get your car, and spent it on ours, you would be eating are **** for breakfeast every day...

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: JGT

I've got American Racing Longtubes with a catted H-pipe. I don't regret getting them, mainly due to the way they improved the sound of the car,and since I've become obsessed with modding, I know I would never have been satisfied without them.

But they were expensive as hell, and I didn't really get a big gain in horsepower. And, due to the movement of the 02 sensors, I've been getting check engine lights ever since,although my dynotuner has told me they are working on a solution (for those who might ask, they are aware of the O2 transport delay, but just haven't found it always fixes the problem).

I've had no clearance issues, then again, I'm not lowered.

The sound is just beautiful, though, and turns heads everywhere. Worth every penny. Not many S197s out on the road that sound like my car, especially all the stock ones rolling around.
I havent had that CEL once with Dougs tune installed, i know he probably wouldnt tell your tuner how to do it but its worth a try. And I am lowered and have not problems with the ARH either.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

well as far as the GTO goes, I've raced them at the track, and they are pretty impressive stock, much more impressive than our beloved mustangs stock. Maybe the Mustang does better at sea level as I see many very nice stock times from florida etc. But in the mountains, the bigger liters definately shine. With that said, style & appeal wise, the Goat don't even leave the pasture

Back on topic however; LT's are definately the way to go, but quite costly. I think one needs to ask him or herself the question, "what is the goal for your car?" and "How much are you willing to spend on it" Shorties are a good solution IMO for those like myself that can't or just don't have the means to dump 1200+ for a really nice LT stainless set up etc etc. When some nice smaller gains for street driving can be had for a fraction of that.

I'd love to get LT's I've drooled over the Kooks set up since I bought my car, but right now I'll stick with my BBK Shorties.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I got the JBA shorties and I can't complain

Quick Reply: Why the hate for shorty headers?