Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better mod MGW shifter or CHE K-Mem w/ Torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Better mod MGW shifter or CHE K-Mem w/ Torque

I'm speaking from the perspective of a 4.0 owner. Our transmissions are notchy from the factory and NO shifter will cure it. The torque limiters made a bigger difference than the shifter but the shifter has never given me or anyone else I've heard of any problems except a rattle. The rattle is easily fixed by using lock nuts on the allen screws that attach the shift lever. I personally like the Hurst and find it very easy to shift; and the $100 savings is a bonus.
ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

Anyone who says the MGW is over priced, probably has never seen the kit or driven a vehicle with the shifter. I can promise you that the quality is top notch and second to none. The kit is package better than anything I've ever seen. It comes with directions, DVD directions, three layers of sound/heat insulation, I could go on and on about how this kit is better than the rest. Not to mention it's not notchy like the Hurst. If you want it to be notchy than DON'T get the MGW. The MGW has a solid, smooth, firm feel to it.

Just wanted to add that Lethal Performance advertises the parts "in stock" but doesn't have them in stock. The parts are drop shipped from CHE. I thought I'd go with a company in state, paying the sales tax none the less, so I could get them faster since Lethal is only a few hours away from me, WRONG. It's been five days and nothing yet. I haven't even got tracking information. [:'(]
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 AM
User 113021
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phatphil
Jaysfreaky, did you use the other set of holes in your brace?
Yeah I did. I was barely touching on the outer ones, so this time around, I went with the inner ones.

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT
Those that have installed the torque limiters (I plan on doing this tomorrow or Tuesday), do you feel the car rock more when you rev it up? Like when you install motor mounts?
I didn't get a chance to rev it today (I just took it for a basic test drive). I also haven't installed motor mounts, so I wouldn't know about that. :x

The MGW doesn't rattle. That's one less thing I'd have to make a fix for. *Eyes glance to Hurst*
Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I was going to do both but I realy wanted the shifter first. After intalling the MGW, no more missed shifts.

I don't know if I am going to bother with the CHE at this point.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I have been eyeing the CHE myself. Could I handle the install myself with ramps and simple tools?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I don't think our transmissions are notchy at all with the stock shifter or the MGW ... If you want to feel notchy, get in my 1965 Mustang with the Hurst. [8D]

PS: I'm still waiting for my K Member Brace and TLs from Lethal Performance, it should be here tomorrow though. It took them 4 days to get in shipped out. [:'(]

ORIGINAL: beaustang

I'm speaking from the perspective of a 4.0 owner. Our transmissions are notchy from the factory and NO shifter will cure it. The torque limiters made a bigger difference than the shifter but the shifter has never given me or anyone else I've heard of any problems except a rattle. The rattle is easily fixed by using lock nuts on the allen screws that attach the shift lever. I personally like the Hurst and find it very easy to shift; and the $100 savings is a bonus.
ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

Anyone who says the MGW is over priced, probably has never seen the kit or driven a vehicle with the shifter. I can promise you that the quality is top notch and second to none. The kit is package better than anything I've ever seen. It comes with directions, DVD directions, three layers of sound/heat insulation, I could go on and on about how this kit is better than the rest. Not to mention it's not notchy like the Hurst. If you want it to be notchy than DON'T get the MGW. The MGW has a solid, smooth, firm feel to it.

Just wanted to add that Lethal Performance advertises the parts "in stock" but doesn't have them in stock. The parts are drop shipped from CHE. I thought I'd go with a company in state, paying the sales tax none the less, so I could get them faster since Lethal is only a few hours away from me, WRONG. It's been five days and nothing yet. I haven't even got tracking information. [:'(]
Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM
User 113021
3rd Gear Member

It's extremely easy. All you need is a 13mm to remove the two transmission bellhousing bolts, and a 17mm for the new bolts you use. I don't remember what the k-member brace needed. I want to say 20mm. It was about a year ago when I did that.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

What exactly does the K-member brace do and how does it work? I know it helps to keep shifts from missing but how does it work?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 AM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackTwist

What exactly does the K-member brace do and how does it work? I know it helps to keep shifts from missing but how does it work?
https://mustangforums.com/m_1832846/tm.htm
The first couple of pages goes through the install and what it does.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 AM
User 113021
3rd Gear Member

My car actually came new with a k-member brace, but I took it off to put the tubular che on. It surprised me when I went underneath to put the che one on. lol
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: JaysFreaky

It's extremely easy. All you need is a 13mm to remove the two transmission bellhousing bolts, and a 17mm for the new bolts you use. I don't remember what the k-member brace needed. I want to say 20mm. It was about a year ago when I did that.
Thanks. I like easy.