Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 vs mach1

Old 04-10-2005, 08:31 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 05 vs mach1

Do they sell those jelly-beans in flavours or colors?
If this year is anything like last year, they will be sitting on the lots while mustangs are backordered,
Gm took a stupid pill.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
n4ggs
2nd Gear Member

shut up. good to hear about a gto from an owner instead of a buncha mustang guys whos default response is "boring"
i love the new gtos, a little plain but the motor rocks. i have found my self confusing gtos with mazda6s (which is a nice looking car) but thats what you get when you start with a complete austrailan car and try to sell it in america, you have no developement time and cost but you end up with compromise.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:09 AM
FuzzyRag
1st Gear Member

I test drove a new GTO...other than the back end wanting to kick out on a low speed turn, that thing was friggin' sweet!!! You know, the low/mid 13s on the 400hp GTO wouldn't surprise me any either, wasn't sure which you spoke of there =)
Old 04-11-2005, 01:48 AM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

it pains me to think that pontiac even tried to lable that car a GTO. oh they were such awsome cars when they came out absolute beasts. i have an old striped down 67! rotting at home in cali some day but. WTF were they thinking putting that name on that car! maby to sell it but the history that the GTO had and still dose and they had tarnish it by making a glorified grand am. i am not dissing the car or the driver i bet it is a sweet ride and it has some serious power but WHY WHY DID THEY HAVE TO GO THERE and put GTO on it when it is not. nor dose it have any resemblence to the old goat except for the emblem
Old 04-11-2005, 04:44 AM
OICW
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuzzyRag

I test drove a new GTO...other than the back end wanting to kick out on a low speed turn, that thing was friggin' sweet!!! You know, the low/mid 13s on the 400hp GTO wouldn't surprise me any either, wasn't sure which you spoke of there =)
They're not that impressive considering a much heavier 300C SRT-8 are often getting better times (and that's with a tight, low stall converter). Maybe those mopars are underrated too.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

We all know when racing all kind of things are not equal and this might be one of those instances since it's the first time I race a GTO. Yesterday I was driving home around 11PM when a new GTO went past me in what it looks like what ricers normally do, a fly-by. Then slowed down and once I got next to him he speeded up once again. The next intersection coming up the light turned red.... I pulled next to him, looked over (can't see the driver - tinted windows) but he's reving the engine and that's all I needed to know. I figure what the hell, let's see what the GTO can do. I made sure the TC is turned off, Light turned green, Launched at around 2,200 and smashed the gas pedal. A little spin but not bad, but we were dead even until I shifted to 2nd I started pulling ahead. Third gear I got him by about 1.5 car lenghts when I decided to slow down, he got next to me, rolled his window down and gave me a thumbs up which I acknowledged back with the same. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-11-2005, 04:27 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Nice job!,
this was prob a driver win
Old 04-11-2005, 04:56 PM
FuzzyRag
1st Gear Member

Driver win, or possibly a auto? Either way, great kill![sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 12-07-2006, 01:52 AM
bg2m8o

ORIGINAL: silverbullit05

it pains me to think that pontiac even tried to lable that car a GTO. oh they were such awsome cars when they came out absolute beasts. i have an old striped down 67! rotting at home in cali some day but. WTF were they thinking putting that name on that car! maby to sell it but the history that the GTO had and still dose and they had tarnish it by making a glorified grand am. i am not dissing the car or the driver i bet it is a sweet ride and it has some serious power but WHY WHY DID THEY HAVE TO GO THERE and put GTO on it when it is not. nor dose it have any resemblence to the old goat except for the emblem
Newbie here. The mustang is a sweet LOOKING car. Very pretty..... But IMHO the GTO is not ugly, and it lives up to the spirit and intent of the John Z original GTO to the letter. Massive power, slick small coupe, sleeper looks. Perfect. Is it retro? No and thank god for that. I thought the new Thunderbird was a joke ( I have a 55 3spd OD, black - That is true beauty). Retro for the sake of it is just wierd. The mustang works, but holy crap, they are EVERYWHERE. Would you guys be singing the praises of the new pony if it were patterned after say a 1974 Cobra II? THATS a pretty nice little piece of work..... very retro.

GM did a lousy job of marketing this car, but understand that it was to be a limited run to begin with, on the order of 18K annually. The 04 Model took a bath when the 6.0L came out in 05. They are NOT being discounted anymore. Go try to make a deal on one. It is not likely to happen unless the dealer is small and has gotten tired of flooring fees.

The Goat has a BADASS powertrain that simply rolls over the Ford product, end of story. The fit and finish are light years ahead of anything in its price class, both inside and out. In terms of sophistication, GTO all day long. Looks boring - yeah, a 400 hp super coupe should make folks lust, but the GTO is largely not noticed. LOVE IT

Love the mustang, but it is not even in the same class - which is not a bad thing, just not in the club. Is it a GTO? No doubt. History will be very kind to it.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

GTO isn't ugly but it doesn't reflect muscle car either. It looks like a typical Japanese car to me. I could be wrong but that's my opinion.