Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone switched back to 87 octane tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:51 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone switched back to 87 octane tune?

There is a diffrence, the 93 will pull harder. I myself have thought about switching back because the price diff is alot for me but I've just kept it because the power's awesome. I was real pissed one time the gas station atendant put 87 in my car by mistake. Luckily I stopped him very quickly and filled the rest of the tank with premium. As far as the tune you have to pay to have fun you only live once, enjoy it!
Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Dont put any octane booster in your car...you are stupid to do this...i dont care if it say its works. your are an idiot to do so. Pay for the higher priced gas.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

IAs far as tuning to 87 just to save money, I think it's pretty ironic thatmost of usspend $25k to $33K for our cars and then pump $100's if not $1,000's into mods and then worry about saving maybe $3-$5 bucks per week. Drink water instead of soda, pack your lunch, make your own coffee and forget Starbucks. Put that money into the tank with the grade of gas that gives you a woody.

+ 1 million...!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:05 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

There is a diffrence, the 93 will pull harder. I myself have thought about switching back because the price diff is alot for me but I've just kept it because the power's awesome. I was real pissed one time the gas station atendant put 87 in my car by mistake. Luckily I stopped him very quickly and filled the rest of the tank with premium. As far as the tune you have to pay to have fun you only live once, enjoy it!
OK so you're complaining about the price of gas but you're getting full service? IDK about where you are but around here it costs like .20 more per gallon for full service when you can find it.... Maybe try self serv 93 octane...
Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajaibr

OK so you're complaining about the price of gas but you're getting full service? IDK about where you are but around here it costs like .20 more per gallon for full service when you can find it.... Maybe try self serv 93 octane...
He could live in NJ. They aren't allowed to pump their own gas there.

Seriously, though, how much faster is a 93 octane tune than an 87 octane? I'm not really noticing all that much difference on the street.

The vehicle just runs so much smoother with the 87 octane tune. It makes me wonder how much far some of these tuners are pushing their 93 octane tunes.

I guess no one else has noticed some stations in rural area no longer selling premium. Perhaps it's just a trend in my locality?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

ORIGINAL: ajaibr

He could live in NJ. They aren't allowed to pump their own gas there.

Seriously, though, how much faster is a 93 octane tune than an 87 octane? I'm not really noticing all that much difference on the street.

The vehicle just runs so much smoother with the 87 octane tune. It makes me wonder how much far some of these tuners are pushing their 93 octane tunes.

I guess no one else has noticed some stations in rural area no longer selling premium. Perhaps it's just a trend in my locality?
NJ is just the spot, good call. As far as the diffrence between tunes I couldnt tell much diffrence myself except a little more power up top. To help me decide I took friends for rides in both tunes and they all said that the 93 felt faster. Also I didnt tell them which was which[8D]. May not be that much better but it's something. Also wmtheflash if your car runs better on 87 keep that cas 1. your gonna run better while only losing a little power and 2. It's some extra cash in your pocket.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:01 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07BLACKGT

I wonder if a sizable number of people with a car that recommends 93 octane are now filling with 87 octane instead just to save a buck.
Yeah, my dad has been using 87 in his "premium gas only" Mercedes for a year or more... he got fed up with the prices.
It's got like 112,000 miles and still running just fine.

I've been running 87 in mine and have never loaded the 93.

How big of a differenceis there between the87 and 93 tunes in the mustang?

The only time I can really tell the difference is hill climbing. The car feels heavier on hills. Not that it ever felt light when hill climbing.

On the plus side, the engine runs noticably smoother. It could just be me, but it even seems like the exhaust note might be a little deeper, too. (It will take more driving to figure if that's really true or not.) Whether this smoother operation has any measurable effect on longevity is anyone's guess. The engine certainly sounds less stressed.

The biggest improvements over stock is the reduction in throttle delay and more authoritative shifts from the automatic. Around town the car is docile and shifts gears easily. At wide open throttle it shifts abruptly, like a shift kit has been installed.

It's not like I'm doing 1/4 mile runs on the way to work. My 3.73:1 gear ratio is more than enough of a performance boost for me when I want to have a little fun.
Thanks for the info.

Wow, it shifts even harder with 93? lol and I thought the 87 tune shifts are insane... Next time I run it down to empty I might have to load the 93 in and try it out.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

When premium reaches 3.50+ a gallon, I switch to the 87 octane tune.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RED121572

When premium reaches 3.50+ a gallon, I switch to the 87 octane tune.
$3.55 for 93 at Shell up in the bronx-ridiculous!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My 93 tune seems to pull harder in the higher RPM band, maybe above 3k-4k, than the 89 tune. But the 89 tune seems to pull better in the 2k-3k (or a bit above) range. Other than running to red line, my 93 tune didn't suit my driving style like the 89 did. I still load the93 sometimes when I intend to wind it out.

As far as saving money, you guys need to put pencil to paper. Figure out how many gallons a week you typically use and multiply by the DIFFERENCE in the price/gallon. You'll find it's not that much compared to the "loss of wood" (a.k.a. seat-of-the-pants kick). Assuming you use 12 gallons a week and the difference between 87 and 93 octane is $.25, you spend an extra WHOPING$3.00. You probably spend more on cigarettes or soda or whatever your vice is...

Quick Reply: Has anyone switched back to 87 octane tune?