Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd gear grind? New Car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:53 AM
T
1st Gear Member

Default 3rd gear grind? New Car!

Bought an 08 GT on Wednesday. I'm starting to get worried here. I have officially 24 miles on my car today. My 3rd gear grinds going into it. It seems halfway bad, i mean it doesn't prevent me from going into it, but it gives a good grind on the way. The dealer said it was perfectly normal durring my test drive, but i don't trust parasites so what do you think? I don't remember the 06 GT i traded in having any grinding issues.

I have to bring it in on Monday because i found a good, deep scratch right next to my headlight that is going to bug me until it's fixed, hopefully they help me out. Anyone able to give me some fuel for an arguement when i get in there to see if they will fix it?

I have it documented that it happened durring the test drive, but they said only bring it in if it continues happening after 100 miles. I REALLY don't want to wait that long for this thing to stop grinding, there's no way this is good for it. I'm just thankful i'm taking it easy to break it in, otherwise it might do some real damage.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3rd gear grind? New Car!

mine did that and it went away
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 AM
T
1st Gear Member

Do you think it's safe to just life with it like that for a while then? I mean i don't want my gears all worn down from this. I spose it will be minimal damage when it is doing it durring the break-in period because of low rpm's. I don't know, maybe i'm just paranoid.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Well personally I think it's safe... Mine did that and made it through ok...

Did I see you say you're from Chicago area somewhere? If you are, what dealer did you buy it from?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

I would say since you have a 5yr 60k mile powertrain warranty, which would cover something like grinding gears to give it a month or two and see if it goes away with break-in. If not they will surely fix it. Hopefully you can get the scratch fixed, that I would bring it for promptly.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 AM
T
1st Gear Member

I'm in a suburb, but ya, i got it from a place called Friendly Ford in Roselle. I did the corporate dealers before *cough*Woodfield Ford*cough* NEVER AGAIN
Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
T
1st Gear Member

The scratch is robably going to have to get fixed outside and out of my own pocket i have a feeling. Unfortunately i just noticed it last night and dealers are closed on sundays[sm=smiley24.gif]
Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

Mine does this only for the first few minutes of driving then goes away...maybe 1st 4 shifts, but it doesn't do it at all, if I shift slowly for those shifts...Seems this tranny has always had some issues with that...read this...

http://www.bullittarchive.com/1023.htm

I plan on taking mine in later to try to get a new tranny out of it, but its the syncros having to much fluid in the mix when its cold I believe is what this guy is trying to say...so you have to take it easy until the fluid warms up some...

P.S. Royal Purple Sycromax, doesn't get rid of it completely, but really smooths out the normal shifts...
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 PM
T
1st Gear Member

I sort of like rough shifts. I am going to get the noisiest shifter i can find with solid CLANK noises. But there's definately a difference from a noisy shift and a grind. I was telling the dealer it was a syncro problem but they kind of ignored that. rap87 how many miles are on your car? I REALLY don't feel like going through getting a new tranny on this thing.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Does it grind and still pop into gear or is it giving you problems getting into gear too?

The one upside to Woodfield Ford is that they'll overlook your mods and still do warranty work... just keep it in mind if any other dealer is giving you crap about anything...

Quick Reply: 3rd gear grind? New Car!