Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UCA Mount - Must Have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default UCA Mount - Must Have?

hey guys - tried a search to no avail. when replacing the uca, is it necessary to replace the mount as well? i'm not gonna be drag racing, but since i've already done shocks, springs, lca's, reloc. brackets, phb and brace, i figured i'd finish the job and replace the uca, too, with an adj. one. so, can i just get an adj. uca? i would really like to save the $$ if i can and avoid the mount.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: UCA Mount - Must Have?

it's not necessary to replace the mount, most of the guys I know didn't bother. They track the cars a lot too. I would imagine the stock mount would be inferior to an aftermarket one, but I didn't bother changing it either. If i started pushing some serious power then I'd probably change it
Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

it's not necessary to replace the mount, most of the guys I know didn't bother. They track the cars a lot too. I would imagine the stock mount would be inferior to an aftermarket one, but I didn't bother changing it either. If i started pushing some serious power then I'd probably change it
word - thx for the advice, piggy
Old 03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I dunno, I disagree.... When I replaced my UCA I was surprised to see how vital the mount appeared to be... Its the main link between the UCA and the chassis. Thats pretty big stuff right there. And its cheap stamped steel, very weak.

I can say without a doubt that LCAs did not help at all with wheel hop, but the UCA (with stock mount) ended wheel hop completely. I now think an aftermarket mount for this piece would be a good choice given its importance.

On the flip side... I was able to replace my UCA without dropping the fuel tank because of the fact that I wasn't doing the mount too. If I did the mount, then yes the fuel tank must drop. Much tougher.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

I dunno, I disagree.... When I replaced my UCA I was surprised to see how vital the mount appeared to be... Its the main link between the UCA and the chassis. Thats pretty big stuff right there. And its cheap stamped steel, very weak.

I can say without a doubt that LCAs did not help at all with wheel hop, but the UCA (with stock mount) ended wheel hop completely. I now think an aftermarket mount for this piece would be a good choice given its importance.

On the flip side... I was able to replace my UCA without dropping the fuel tank because of the fact that I wasn't doing the mount too. If I did the mount, then yes the fuel tank must drop. Much tougher.
dammit, just when i thought i had my answer! [&:] well, i'll think on it some more. i hear what you're sayin ohnoesaz, and i'd hate to have to remount the uca later cuz of uca mount issues. then again, ~$160 is a lot easier to swallow than ~$325...
Old 03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

i had a tough time doing the install on my back with jackstands so I brought it to a dealership where a friend works. He did it on the lift for me. He left the original mount there in his car too. I had zero wheel hop with just the adj. uca and stock mount. I finished the lower control arms and relocation brackets a week later. How often do you go to the track that you are going to need a stronger mount? Like I said before, if you aren't pushing a ton of horsepower, you probably aren't going to feel or notice a difference with the new mount. If you want to spend the extra cash though, pick up some bmr lca relocation brackets to straighten out the control arms. You'll notice those more than the uca mount.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

i had a tough time doing the install on my back with jackstands so I brought it to a dealership where a friend works. He did it on the lift for me. He left the original mount there in his car too. I had zero wheel hop with just the adj. uca and stock mount. I finished the lower control arms and relocation brackets a week later. How often do you go to the track that you are going to need a stronger mount? Like I said before, if you aren't pushing a ton of horsepower, you probably aren't going to feel or notice a difference with the new mount. If you want to spend the extra cash though, pick up some bmr lca relocation brackets to straighten out the control arms. You'll notice those more than the uca mount.
that's kinda what i was thinkin - i mean, i already have lca's and reloc. brackets, an adj. phb and brace, i'm dropped w/. the prokit and im runnin d-specs. this is kinda the last primary suspension component to be replaced, and i was hopin to save the cash and not get the mount. i never really noticed any wheel hop anyway, so i'm just thinkin this'll allow me the pinion angle adjustment i don't have with the lca's, and any other benefits are gravy.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

yea I have the bmr one and it's much stronger than the stock one and its doin just fine with the stock mount. I wanted it to adjust pinion angle. Worry about a new mount when you need more strength in the rear at the track. The stock one is obviously strong enough to handle a bit of power though
Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

yup, i think i'm goin with the bmr as well. piggy, any squeaking or anything with the bmr uca?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

I haven't put the BMR UCA mount in my car yet...........still messing around with that stupid rear end bushing, my problem is solved now..........but I do have the factory mount removed from the car. Side by side, the difference between the two mounts is OBVIOUS, BMR's is all 1/4" steel, factory mount is 12 guage (maybe, it's a little thicker than 14 guage). I can actually see the flex in the factory mount when I squeeze it with my hands..........which concludes to my retard-like strength, or a weak point in the factory suspension set-up........or both.

I say toss the extra $$$ away and get the new mount.

Quick Reply: UCA Mount - Must Have?