MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Fuel Filter Replacement (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/417897-fuel-filter-replacement.html)

doctorj77 03-11-2008 08:32 AM

Fuel Filter Replacement

Just thought I'd share this.

My dad and I went to change the filters on our GTs last night. For anyone considering going to Autozone, don't buy their brand, part # FF686. According to their computers that's the correct one for 05-07 mustangs. Its not. The inlet and outlet tubes are too small for the gas lines to re-attach.

My dad and I sucked it up and bought the $20 Motocraft ones from the dealer. We also bought one for my brother's 04 GT. And sure enough, thats the one Autozone sold me. So I have to take them back and tell them they need to update their system.

After we got the right filter the chance was easy. No differene in throttle or anything, but just a good maintenance item to do.

mcburns36 03-11-2008 12:20 PM

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement

Special tools? And did you take the pressure of the fuel system first?

GidyupGo 03-11-2008 12:25 PM

There's no special tools required. Just the right size socket to take off the guard, and a screw driver or something to push on and relase the clamps. No way to releive the pressure. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and turned the engine over which may have reduced the engine side pressure off the line, but fuel WILL spill out, like about 1/2 cup from the tank side. No way around it.

drbobvs 03-11-2008 01:10 PM

Good idea to also loosen the fuel filler cap.

Bluestar 03-11-2008 01:17 PM

I changed mine when I noticed the Car wasn't smooth at Idle....fixed it.

doctorj77 03-11-2008 01:37 PM

I did remove the fuse and turned it over. But like GidyUp said, it'll only relieve the pressure forward of the filter. It still drained a decent amount. Took about 10min per car. Pretty easy. The only tools is a 10mm rocket, a large screw driver for the plastic snaps, and needle nose pliers to remove them, and I used a large towell to soak up the draining fuel.

Pretty easy to do. Didn't notice any change, but then again the car was running fire before. Just normal maintenance.

05BlackPony 03-11-2008 01:50 PM

I bought my fuel filter from autozone last month and have no problems what-so-ever.

28HopUp 03-11-2008 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: doctorj77
Pretty easy to do. Didn't notice any change, but then again the car was running fire before. Just normal maintenance.

For kicks, I tried blowing through the new filter, and then through the old one in comparison. WOW! My old one was MUCH harder to blow through. With the cruddy gas in my area, I now change my fuel filter once a year.

GidyupGo 03-11-2008 03:20 PM

I did the same thing. Blew a little gas out and that was it. No difference between the old and the new after 12k miles. I kept the old one for a backup.

Diabolical! 03-11-2008 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: 05BlackPony

I bought my fuel filter from autozone last month and have no problems what-so-ever.
+1