Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start exhaust rattle/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 PM
J18369

Default RE: Cold start exhaust rattle/vibration

Might work.. hard to tell though. Lots of another people seem to be having this resonance problem, apparently it's only noticable from the interior. If I'm able to get underneath in the morning before I head to class I might be able to see if anything is loose and take it back up to the exhaust shop and have them fix it.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 AM
J18369

UPDATE: I think it may be coming from the spare tire well, I'm gonna take all that stuff out this morning and see if the vibration goes away. I could clearly hear a vibration coming from around the spare area but it may very well be my hangers underneath making all the noise. I'll be able to snoop around a lot better in the morning and I'll post what I find since other people seem to have the same problem. I wanted to 'delete' the spare tire anyways for weight and go with a can of fix-a-flat.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: J18369

UPDATE: I think it may be coming from the spare tire well, I'm gonna take all that stuff out this morning and see if the vibration goes away. I could clearly hear a vibration coming from around the spare area but it may very well be my hangers underneath making all the noise. I'll be able to snoop around a lot better in the morning and I'll post what I find since other people seem to have the same problem. I wanted to 'delete' the spare tire anyways for weight and go with a can of fix-a-flat.
thats where it seems to be coming from my car also. I still have not been able to single out the problem though. After a minute or so it stops when the exhaust heats up. I get it in overdrive around 45-50 miles an hour where i can hear it in the car. Sometimes when I'm accelerating on the lower level of the bridge i can hear it resonate off the walls lol. It drives me nuts
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I don't know what it could be for there are endless possibilities. Def. get it checked out, you didnt pay to have it done wrong and I really hope they figure it out I know how much a pain vibrations can be, My X wouldnt stop, never figured it out and had to take it off; lost alot of money on that. Best of Luck
Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just an fyi.. and this is probably not your problem.. but I have had an annoying rattle when the car was cold for months now. It sounded like it was coming from the exhaust just underneath or in front of the driver's side of the car.

Last night it hit me... it was my CAI filter and shield rattling against the wheel well. Tightened things up last night.. and no more rattle this morning.

The drove me crazy because it only happened when the car was in gear (like backing into or pulling out of my garage.. or at a stop light).. so I could not just let it idle and walk around the car.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I had a small rattle coming from the spare wheel well area... turns out it was the jack anda couple bolts jumping around. That solved part of it but I still have some major major buzzes and rattles at cold startup. I'd still pay a lot of money to fix it. Its extremely annoying and yes, embarrassing.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:02 PM
J18369

I took the spare out and the rattle seemed to be getting worse, even remaining when the car was warmed up. I took it back to the exhaust shop, they dropped everything they were doing and put my car on the lift and started revving it up listening for the vibration.They found that it was a loose bolt on one of the hanger mounts. I don't know how itbecame loose but I sure hope they torqued it down well so it doesn't vibrate loose again.

Exhaust sounds great now