Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start exhaust rattle/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
J18369

Default Cold start exhaust rattle/vibration

I went down to the exhaust shop today and got my own custom muffler delete put in. Just a simple axleback with 4"stainless rolledtips, they sounded great when leaving the shop but I noticed later after I had let the car sit for awhile that it makesa pretty nasty vibration/rattle for about 10 minutes after a cold start until it warms up, then it sounds great. I didn't think much of it because my dad used to have a Camaro with open headers that did the same when it warms up. It's just a kind of embarassing sound (dunno if anyone else can hear it) and I think I've read some people complaining about their systems doing the same things. Do I just need to wait for the welds to settle? I don't want to call up the exhaust shop bugging them about it even though I have a lifetime warranty on everything.. I'm not sure if it's normal for this to happen. I've been asking around on different forums to see what people say, because I know a lot of people have straight pipes. Even a GT500 in my area had recently gotten this exhaust done.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold start exhaust rattle/vibration

take it back to them and tell them your problem..

your not being an a$$ if you paid them to do a job and want it done right..

my guess is that it has something to do with a hanger.

see if they can put it back up on the lift and hit the pipes up and down a little.. while they are doing this, look for any bouncing in the pipes that might cause the noise..

I found mine this way.

good luck.

FM
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 PM
J18369

-bump-
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. I've had the car up and have looked everywhere with no luck. The vibration and buzzing is a royal pain in the butt and I would pay a lot of money to fix it. Everything goes away and its smooth as ever after about 5 minutes of warming up.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 PM
J18369

I thought usually the noises start when an engine gets warm. Should sound nice at a cold start. I went outside just a bit ago even though it was raining and let it idle, I couldn't get underneath because it was pouring but it was vibrating a bit underneath. I think maybe they were a bit rough when pulling off the stock mufflers and maybe yanked on the piping too much. I'm sure I'll be able to get underneath when it's cold and see if anything is shaking.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

i have the same thing with my borlas and still no luck finding it lol
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 PM
J18369

Think it's a resonant frequency problem? There was a TSB about a factory exhaust hanger causing center stack vibration or something.. I'm sure you guys experience that vibration around 2500 RPMs from your air vents/radio area. I figured this was just a problem with my straight pipes, but if you guys are having problems with Borla and Pypes then there's obviously something odd going on.

We can always try adding ankle weights to see if maybe we changed the weight too drastically from our heavy factory mufflers and the pipes are so light they are just vibrating up against the chassis now.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
TTSRACINGWORLD
2nd Gear Member

I have the same thing with my Magna Flow 16605 system. I work for Car X in OakLawn, Il and I can't find the problem.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
black S197
3rd Gear Member

Do I just need to wait for the welds to settle?

What?! You are kidding right?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
baker 46
1st Gear Member

I had the same issue. It turned out to be the bracket that holds the x pipe to the manifold on the passenger side. One of the bolts was loose and caused the bracket to rattle until the pipe heated up and expanded into the gap. Its an easy fix though, just impact driver the crap out of all of your connections on your exhaust.

Quick Reply: Cold start exhaust rattle/vibration