Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Fill Problem Resolution

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Tank Fill Problem Resolution

Great. Now they are creating a fire issue by running the filler hose into the trunk just like on the vintage stangs. I'll pass.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Another view of this situation. When I first got my car it was not allowing me to fill it up. But it only lasted for a month or so and after a year and a half it has not done it again. I go to several different stations and I never have the problem anymore. I hope I'm not jinxing myself. [sm=signs003.gif]
Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Well, that would be nice but I'm not counting on it. [&:]

Dealership just called and I guess I already have the newer tank. So, they won't be putting in another one. They are going to call the Ford hotline but some how I think I'll be stuck with this issue. Oh, well, better to have them look at it and be sure then if i did have the older tank and didn't try. The tech also mentioned that there have been a lot of complaints with this issue. (big surprise)

I'm having them pull the spark plugs, too, so I don't have to deal with the scary plug change further down the road. I would attempt it if the weather was warmer but I really don't want to try it when it's only 30 degrees outside.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

I wanted to post back here whether my latest warranty repairs actually fixed the fuel fill issue. My (and this collective Forum's) quest to solve the premature nozzle shutoff continues. Ran the tank down to ~ 1-2 gallons and tried to fill per Ford's recommendation (slowest auto-fill speed & less than 1/4 tank)... NO DICE... got to 7 gallons and nozzle shut-off.. D^MN! The 1/2 nightmare continues. Even after a new EVAP canister... new canister vent solenoid... new EVAP filter.... successful testing of tank check valve... and other emission system valves, sensors and relays, it's still a one saddle-tank pony. I guess through process of elimination, it appears the Ford Tech and Ford Engineer are correct... it's got to be the filler neck and inlet hose. I've seen a few posts here (and other forums) from folks who said they had their filler-neck assembly "adjusted", which solved the problem. I took a look at the filler neck and can't quite figure out what was "adjusted". Does anyone know what kind of adjustment you can make to the neck? There's a funnel shaped attachment right behind the fuel door inlet, which narrows down and attaches to the inlet hose (inside of the plastic wire-loom tube). How is this adjusted? As I stated earlier, the inlet hose makes a few convoluted turns and at the half-way mark (between inlet door and fuel tank) it actually runs slightly uphill to tank (which I'm sure is not conducive to continuous flow). Appreciate if anyone could provide information to this mysterious filler neck adjustment and exactly how it is adjusted to allow uninterrupted flow and a full tank fill. Thx.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

So true...happened to me once so far in almost 2 yrs and I use the same gas station and the same pump if possible and tried the turning the filler and it helped but it did not shut down when full and I got gas all over the rear quater panel. I quickly wiped it up and went home (about 2 mins ) and put a new coat of wax on the panel that got hosed! Sucks because the guy that was admiring the car (he had a vette) almost saw the incident and that would have been even more embarrassing IMO J
ORIGINAL: yomofoitzjay

its soo embarssing when it does this.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:20 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I think our cars are smart...
If gas was cheaper, it'll let us fill it with no problems.

This happened to me onlyonce.
I was able to fill it completly by changing the angle of the dangle and backing the nozzle up a bit.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 AM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

It's happened to me a number of times. GRRRR, it is very frustrating more than anything especially when it is cold out and normally you like to sit in your warm car but NO you have to stand out there and manually put the gas in because it keeps clicking off! [:@]

Okay, I love my car and I'm done ranting
Old 04-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Luxembourger

@DoctorQ: Any new data about this issue ? I am getting crazy here at the pump station...[:@]
Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM
inagadadavida

DoctorQ, you like Folsom Lake Ford? I buy my parts there and I get a bad feeling from the service dept. It would be comforting to know there is a dealership out there I can take my car to in case I have a warranty covered issue.