Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most inexpensive axel-back exhaust with NO DRONE?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 AM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Default Most inexpensive axel-back exhaust with NO DRONE?

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of research recently on getting an axel-back exhaust for my 2008 GT. This all started after I saw a video from one of my friends of my old 2001 V6 Mustang and compared the sound to my 2008 and my 2001 was MUCH, MUCH louder. The reason is obviously because I had a Flowmasters American Thunder true-dual cat-back exhaut system. This bothers me because more heads would turn just from an engine rev on my old, bottom of the line V6 than my brand new, ever package GT lol.

I read and listened to a lot of the different exhaust setups on this board but was wondering if anyone had any personal advise. I am only looking to add an axelback system, no other modifications. My old car, while loud outside, had a LOT of drone when idiling and this is something I really want to avoid. So as the title says, what do you guys think is themost inexpensive, yet still qualityaxelback system without any drone that is going to be moderately loud outside the car, and minimally loud inside the car. The type of sound I am mostly looking for is a throaty old-school muscle car sound, even when the car is idling.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:48 AM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Most inexpensive axel-back exhaust with NO DRONE?

Have a muffler shop cut of your mufflers and put on some rolled chrome tips... trust me. i get compliments everywhere. Hardly any drone when highway curising.. and sounds mean as hell when u get on it.

Cheap and sounds sexy.. DO IT.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 AM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Well that would basically be the same as getting loudmouths right? I've gotta keep it street legal, so cutting off the muffler's isn't an option
Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

how is cutting off a muffler not street legal? sound level? it has nothing to do with emissions soi dunno, and i dont think a mustangwith stock h-pipeand just no mufflers would be over sound limit. I would do it.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 AM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Well I know here in NJ, a vehicle MUST have mufflers to be street legal, but that is besides the point. I also want something new I can take off and put the original mufflers back on if need be, I'd also like to do the install on my own...

Either way, the thread is digressing, I want to get a new axleback exhaust system, so based on what I'd like to see in it above, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards the SLP loudmouths at the moment. Anyone with this system care to comment on the sound at idling and the drone at idling, revving and cruising?

Thanks!!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:25 AM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DJStile

Well I know here in NJ, a vehicle MUST have mufflers to be street legal, but that is besides the point. I also want something new I can take off and put the original mufflers back on if need be, I'd also like to do the install on my own...

Either way, the thread is digressing, I want to get a new axleback exhaust system, so based on what I'd like to see in it above, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards the SLP loudmouths at the moment. Anyone with this system care to comment on the sound at idling and the drone at idling, revving and cruising?

Thanks!!
Didnt u say you want mufflers? not making any sense man. a Muffler delete is the same as SLP loudmouths, diffrence is you get to pick the tips, But if your looking into something u can change and install yourself.. Pypes makes a muffler delete kit with pretty decent tips.. a whole 4 inchs if im correct. For alot less money than the SLPs. Maybe look into that.. And sense your plannin on keeping stock mid pipe, trust me on the muffler delete.. It sounds so good. I dont think you will have any cop trouble, and if you got pulled for them it would probably be so they could tell u how good it sounds!

Boomtubes might also be something for you to look in to, as they are straight through designed and have a similar sound.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Finding an exhaust that doesn't have any drone is going to be hard without spending some money. I have heard that Corsa is one of the best out there for no drone but it will cost you around $800. You may be able to find it cheaper if you did some looking.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

I've got the Pypes mid muffler and don't have any drone... At idle its got a kinda throaty rumbling sound thats not overly loud...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:55 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I have no drone issues with my Flowmaster ATs. I think they were less than 300 too. I like em.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Same here... Flowmaster American Thunder axle backs.
The only drone I've noticed is when I'm in 5th gear at about 1,500 RPM and trying to accellerate, but that just means it's time to downshift to 4th...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most inexpensive axel-back exhaust with NO DRONE?