Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas questions

ORIGINAL: d_ames117

There is a VW Diesel that gets 60 mpg on the highway. Of course it's not sold in the states since it doesn't meet the EPA requirements...

Price of diesel is going through the roof though... Even if you get one thats getting high mileage, the diesel prices are going to continue going higher compared to gas. All the new standards on ULSD are costing a ton more to the refiners and they have no problem passing that cost along.... I saw diesel at $4.19/Gallon this morning on my way to work in the Chicago burbs....
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I don't care because I used to pay 8 dollars per gallon... (Dutch). Stop whining and get a green car if you can't take it. It's only going to get up. We will see 4 bucks a gallon this year.

I get around 250-275 per tank if I run it bone dry. I average 17mpg city driving, and I am okay with that. And I am not rich, imagine that... Maybe I am just a glutton for punishment...

But I do plan on getting another car in the future and keep the mustang for fun drives. But if that will be a green car? I don't know... Like I wrote, I don't really care... If I get something green it will be the Jetta TDI... supposedly 50mpg city, and long lasting diesel engines... Great combo for a commuter.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajaibr

ORIGINAL: d_ames117

There is a VW Diesel that gets 60 mpg on the highway. Of course it's not sold in the states since it doesn't meet the EPA requirements...

Price of diesel is going through the roof though... Even if you get one thats getting high mileage, the diesel prices are going to continue going higher compared to gas. All the new standards on ULSD are costing a ton more to the refiners and they have no problem passing that cost along.... I saw diesel at $4.19/Gallon this morning on my way to work in the Chicago burbs....

D is $3.75 here and 87 is $3.25. MY Jeep Liberty diesel gets 25 mpg and we have to drive it when the roads are bad, but the Mustang GT saves us $1.50 a day if we can drive it.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gohan785

ORIGINAL: ajaibr

I'm doing about the same... 220 miles per tank.. All I can do is grin and deal with it... Gas prices are what they are.. Nothing is going to make it any better... If the cost is killing you that badly maybe look into a cheap used car with great gas mileage for a daily driver...
I was actually thinking about taking the bus to most places and leave my mustangin the garageexcept for summer times. It's not even fun to drive my mustang in the winter lol
Oh come on, It's a blast in the winter!! Chicago snow adds so much excitement!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justice

I don't care because I used to pay 8 dollars per gallon... (Dutch). Stop whining and get a green car if you can't take it. It's only going to get up. We will see 4 bucks a gallon this year.

I get around 250-275 per tank if I run it bone dry. I average 17mpg city driving, and I am okay with that. And I am not rich, imagine that... Maybe I am just a glutton for punishment...

But I do plan on getting another car in the future and keep the mustang for fun drives. But if that will be a green car? I don't know... Like I wrote, I don't really care... If I get something green it will be the Jetta TDI... supposedly 50mpg city, and long lasting diesel engines... Great combo for a commuter.

Mmmmm, TDI's have issues with their intercooler filling up with oil getting past the turbo seals. Might want to rethink that.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 AM
upgraded

GOHAN 785,
I’m getting about 250 to 275 miles per tank @ 3.45 per gallon of 93 Octane. Most of the Driving is at 60 miles an hour for the 30 mile one way trip. For a V8 with a super charger, I think that’s great. Anyway, Who buys a Mustang and worries about the gas?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo
Mmmmm, TDI's have issues with their intercooler filling up with oil getting past the turbo seals. Might want to rethink that.
Every model has their quirks. The newer one will most likely not have that problem but others. But it's all good, since you will drive it a lot, and if there is something wrong with it it'll get fixed under warranty. If it keeps running under warranty you know you got a good one that will last forever. When you have numerous major problems under warranty (goes for any vehicle) it's best to get rid of it when said warranty runs out or it will eat you out of house and home.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First off, I average 23 MPG with my Stang which is NOT my DD. It's primarily used for long distance runs. The Stang gets better gas mileage than my 6 cylinder SUV at 17 MPG sofor me, driving the Stang SAVES me money.

Secondly, when you bought your Stang, you KNEW gas prices would continue to rise. If not, shame on you. If you pump $100's or $1,000's of dollars into mods, please stop whining about the extra $5-$10 per week (on average) the additional cost for fuel is costing you. Drink water instead of soda, brew your own coffee instead of going to Starbucks and eat more spaghetti.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Gohan785
1st Gear Member

I wasn't complaning about the gas prices. I knew it would be bad with my mustang I was more just curious to see how everyone's car used gas with mods and how or if anyone has changed how they drove since the gas prices keep on rising
Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Didnt buy the mustang to get good gas mileage.. I drive it for fun, when gas hits 10 dollars a gallon, ill become concerened but for now, 300 bucks a month on fuel isnt breaking the bank

Quick Reply: Gas questions