Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add a sub and amp to my Shaker 500 deck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

Default Can I add a sub and amp to my Shaker 500 deck?

Does the shaker 500 have the ability to add an amp+sub? I dont really want to replace the deck because I like the way it looks and how everything flows nicely together. Anyway, anyone know if I can?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Mustang_guy17
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I add a sub and amp to my Shaker 500 deck?

ORIGINAL: BlackTwist

Does the shaker 500 have the ability to add an amp+sub? I dont really want to replace the deck because I like the way it looks and how everything flows nicely together. Anyway, anyone know if I can?
I re[;ace my shaker 500. And I was worried about the new one not fitting and stuff well here is how it turned out.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

That looks pretty good, i just really dont want to replace my head unit. Hopefully someone will tell me that yes there are jacks on the back for a sub. :\
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

hate to tell you but there isnt. when i put my subs in i just spliced into the rear speakers and got a adapter and filter with rca outs. ill try to get pics for you in the next few days. also i had to run a switch to power on and off the amp.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Mustang_guy17
2nd Gear Member

That looks pretty good, i just really dont want to replace my head unit. Hopefully someone will tell me that yes there are jacks on the back for a sub. :\
Yes you can add subs to it. I was going to do the same but decided to do everything at once. I was told i could just add a sub and amp with the stock shaker. so your good
Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
bigherm00
1st Gear Member

If you're wanting to plug some RCA cables into your existing head unit and run them to an amp, it ain't happening.

But, if you want to almost splice something in, have a look at this.

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=66223

It might be something you'd be interested in. If you look in my thread history I posted once about it and a lot of people said to spend $600 on something better, but hey who knows, you might like it.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm not totally against splicing if it means I can keep my head unit. You see I'm not actually buying anything new here, im just reusing my amp+sub from my old truck because im selling it.

Also brendend, how does your system sound? Also thanks in advance for the pics!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:31 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm not totally against splicing if it means I can keep my head unit. You see I'm not actually buying anything new here, im just reusing my amp+sub from my old truck because im selling it.

Also brendend, how does your system sound? Also thanks in advance for the pics!
yes it is very easy to do what you are wanting to do. You will need this item (i don't remember what it's called but i do own one from when i first got into car audio), and mine is ovalish and grey. It has plugs for RCA's on one end, and coming out the other side is 2 wires (pos and neg), all you do is wire in the 2 wires (pos and neg) to one of your normal speakers in the car, easiest to with the rear deck speakers since the bottoms hang down into the trunk i believe and you can access the wires from there vs taking off your door panels to mess with all that.

Then you just plug your amp into that for your RCAs.

However on the subject if you can run a remote turn onoff the stock headunit i have no idea how to accomplish that. Best bet would be to run the subs off of a toggle switch.

Edit: The item you need is a Line Out Convertor. Also check to see if your amp supports high level inputs. Just remembered that is also a alternative to splicing into your stock speakers.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Briscoe
2nd Gear Member

Do any of you guys get a popping noise every time you turn off or on your car? Every time I have added amps to my stock deck: A. It didn't have the sound quality I wanted. B. It made an annoying POP every time I turned off my car. I would recomend getting a new head unit, better quality sound and more tuning options. Stock unit looks nice but it lacks in high end quality.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Yes you can but you'll have to pull a line level feed from the rear speakers and convert it to preamp levels (depending on your amp).

https://mustangforums.com/m_3333162/...tm.htm#3333162

Quick Reply: Can I add a sub and amp to my Shaker 500 deck?