Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is involved in lowering a 'stang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Default What is involved in lowering a 'stang?

Is is just switching out the springs? Or is it more?

For instance, if I got an eibach pro kit, would that have everything I'd need, or would i have to change more things later?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:18 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What is involved in lowering a 'stang?

depends on how low you want to go. For an inch to 1 and 1/4 you really only need springs. If you go lower you may eventually need shocks...
if you want the best then you go for coil overs.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Black GT500

Why can't I delet my own posts?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

lca's with reloc bracket... adj. panhard bar & brace... camber bolts, it all depends, search
Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

yea I forgot to add. If you lower it too much you will need a caster/camber adjustment kit because the stock adjustment just won't do it.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

lca's with reloc bracket... adj. panhard bar & brace... camber bolts, it all depends, search
lol, don't think I didn't try for like an hour. But every answer seemed so different, so I thought I'd just come out and ask.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 AM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

don't forget to get an alignment afterward. The Eibach Pro Kit is very popular but without replacing the shocks/struts with aftermarket your ride will be slightly to severly more harsh depending on your ***-o-meter.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

i'm not an expert, but i did read quite a bit before i made my purchases and installs; here's what i gleaned from the pros:

1. unless you're puttin your stang through some serious road racing/rally type applications, coilovers are a waste of money.

2. it is viable to simply replace the springs, but your ride will suffer quite a bit if you're changing out the fronts and the rears. tokico d-specs are widely considered (by fellow mf'ers) to be excellent shocks/struts and allow you a range of dampening possibilities.

3. typically, lower control arms (lca's) and theparhard bar (phb)are replaced when lowering; however, i went all out and got lca's, relocation brackets (to better angle the lca's), an adjustable phb and phb brace, and a new rear sway bar. the only remaining item i need to replace is the upper control arm, and i'm getting that in the adjustable variety. typically, most folks get the adj. lca's and the solid uca b/c. the lowers are easier to adjust. the adjustment is necessary to fix the pinion angle.

4. if you change out the front suspension, get an allignment so as to check for problems, i.e. camber or toe problems, etc.

those are the basics!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Mr lee - there is no consensus on this, no single "here is how you do it" answer. That is why search yielded the results you speak of. Technically the only thing you need to lower a car within reason, say up to 1.5" is springs. Lots of guys have just installed springs, including Eibach-Pro and thats it...nothing else, and they claim to be happy with no issues.

What you do depends on your goals and your wallet. Do you want a DD with a good ride? Do you want a drag car? Do you want a great handling car?Are you pushing lots of power? You can't have it all. For example, reloc brackets are great for a drag car but can be detrimental to a track/autoX car.

Personally my opinion is do springs and dampers together (depending on the drop you may want to add camber bolts or plates) and then wait. Drive it for a while - you probably dont *need* anything else but eventually may find you *want* other pieces. For example, lowering the car will absolutely shift the rear axle to the left. But, it may not be a problem, every car is different. You may hardly notice it or, if you have wide tires or your car was off from the factory, it may be noticeable in which case the solution is a adjustable PHB.

The major point here is: every one's situation, car and goals are different and thus there is no single solution or answer to your question.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 AM
ApexStang
2nd Gear Member

I went with the Roush kit. It included: Lowering Springs 1 inch, Shocks/Struts, Front Sway, and rear sway. Then I added the BMR UCA, LCA's and adjustable panhard bar.

In reality, if you just want a 1" drop, just buy the Steeda springs and be done with it.

Quick Reply: What is involved in lowering a 'stang?