Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the s197

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:18 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why the s197

ORIGINAL: Kara

What made you choose your car? Ill go first.

After being a die hard chevy fan, I guess I needed a change. I mean I have had many corvettes, trans ams and camaro's. I hate to admit it, but at one time I was a mustang hater[&:] I was young and retarded back then haha. Anywho, when the terminator's came out, i really started having a change of heart for the mustangs. But as soon as I saw a s197 I was in love. Ford did good when they made these cars! I was going to order a torch red one, but went with a cadillac cts instead because my dad thought that would be better for me. Well wasnt happy so I guess back in January I started JUST looking. I wasnt going to buy yet. And there she was. Too good of a deal to pass up, and just what I wanted! So yeah that is my story whats yours?

I've always liked American muscle cars. It doesn't matter if it's Ford or Chevy or whatever. As long as it's a V8 and looks good to me. I've owned a 69 Camaro, 66 Mustang, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 70 Dodge Challenger, 1996 Mustang GT. I currently own a 1982 Corvette and was driving that for awhile until I decided it was time to get something more modern and comfortableand the only logical choice in a V8 American sports/muscle car was the S197 Mustang. Everything elsewith aV8 currently is just bland.

My 2007 GT/CS, afew weeks after I bought her, next to my '82 Corvette.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 AM
swoosh
2nd Gear Member

Grown up around mustangs, so they've been in my blood since I was a kid (had a 65, 67, 89 Saleen and a 91 Saleen coupe). Would even get into games with my sister growing up trying to spot mustangs on the road.

Initially started driving the 65, but eventually the 91 Saleen ended up in my possession. A bit over a year ago the poor 91 was stolen from where I was working, and was found stripped clean a week later (even took the rear axle). While on rental cars, I kept getting compact SUVs and the likes, and I slowly started hating having to slow down for corners only to have soccer moms in BMWs zip around me, so I knew I needed something sporty to replace it.

Eventually settled on a used BMW, new Mustang or new G35 coupe. Wrote off the BMW b/c of too many maintenance bugs, and was finally sold on the Mustang when I had a SN95 and G35 coupe go past me one day while I was at a light:the unmistakable sound of a V8 trumped the V6 hands down. So I set out, did my research and worked it out to what I wanted: Tungsten Grey GTCoupe with Black stripes - reminiscent of Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds.

Haven't looked back since, and love the fact that I've turned more heads in a yearwith my current stang than I did in the 6 years I had the Saleen.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:25 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Nothing is better at tearing up the California freeways than an American Classic! After having an awesome, yet shortlived run with my F-body. There was no other choice than another American muscle car... Something about my Stang drew it to me in the dealership that night...I mean there were PLENTY of other choices but, among the many F-150s, Silverados, 300C's, Magnums and Chargers, The Mustanghad my name on it... Just thinking about the things I could do to it made it an instant winner!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

I was in my senior year in HS when they anounced the new stang, at the time I loved the mach1 newedge mustang but could not aford it as I was in hs, but I completly fell in love with the prototype. I started saving my cash since. I graduated from colledge last year and began working shortly after.

I started looking for a decent car, I was looking at the new vw gti and possibly a chevy trailblazer. I decided I am young and need something that reflects that, at the time I was 23. I spoke to my father and he knew someone who worked at a local dealership. Made my order for a tripple black 07gt. I then proceded to wait, after 10 weeks they told me they fubared my order and they forgot to add the side airbags I wanted. I was pissed. My father offered to pay the difference so I could get a vette but I refused being pissed at the world. Well, it turns out the owner of the dealership had ordered an almost identical one to the one I had ordered minus the side airbags again but it had the 3.55gear, and the shaker 500 witch I initialy did not want, as I wanted to go aftermarket but the shaker is fine for my needs now. The owner gave it to me at dealer cost and waived delivery, I paid taxes and he cut me a deal for 800bux for the 1400dollar smart lo jack unit. I drove it home a day later after he had it washed and filled the tank.

As I picked up the car, the owner walked out of his office and said to me, I am glad this is going to a youngster that loves this car. He shook my hand and showed me his old 67 that he had stored in the back, he said that was his old one when he was in his early 20's. He said take care of her, refering to the car. Later I found out my father had talked to him about the car and the owner offered him the deal.

in any case it's been about 9500miles of pure fun and 7months of pure bliss. I think my car runs better and better every day. There are way more expensive cars at the garage I park at work, however even the owners of those cars are envious of my car. The fact remins that they refuse to get one because someone at work owns one, I get better fuel economy that the v6 honda guys and I can blow their doors off, the bmw guys seem to always breack down too. They all look at it and all of them drool over it. She is perfect.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 AM
NeNCGT
1st Gear Member

I've as long as I can remember had a lovefor the Mustang. I can remember going with my sister in the 60's to look at the then new 67. I rememeber the day my dad showed from work with the gold 65 coupe from the Olds dealer were he worked. My sister made such a fuss that the people next door came over to find out what was going on. Even thou it was only a 6er she had one of the coolest cars on the block.

Fast forward to 86 I had a new 86 GT and wanted to restore a 65/66. found a 66 fastback though a family friend that had just been repainted before parked due to an engine failure. I went to look this so called nice car only to find it setting in this guy's back yard under a gum tree and 3 inches of tree crap on top of it. The candyapple red paint was stained black the seats were unbolted and it had 3 different wheels on it. I bought it on the spot. Why I did is still a mystery but in 2 weeks I had that car running and on the road. It has been one of my greatest regrets that after I did restore my 66 I sold it for at the time was more that I thought it was worth.

In 2004 my wife wanted/needed a new car and she wanted a red Mustang. I found her a red 04 for a great deal picked her up at work that afternoon and she was happy for almost a year. I had been trying to get her to trade it in on a 05 but she didn't see the need until she laid eyes on a Vista Blue Pony Package 06 and it was all over the 04 was to go. She was so worked up over it she couldn't drive the car home when we picked it up a few days later. As I drove the Mustang home memories of the 66, 67, 73, and even the 86 came back and this car had a bit of all of them.

This past year we traded the 06 for a 07 for the wife and on Dec 26th as my Christmas gift to meI traded V10 Excursion formy 06GT. When I get into the GT I feel like I'm 19 it's been a long time that a new car has made this much of an impression. Lets hope that Ford does the right thing for the 2010 Mustang.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 AM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

I have loved mustangs since i think i could breathe. My first car was a 77 mustang that my dad bought for $500 rusted out back window and all.lol. I always wanted a foxbody and now have had several although i had to struggle from paycheck to paycheck barely making ends meet. When I turned 31, my supervisor at work decided to leave and his job became open. I told the CEO that i wanted to take the job over. He said he would talk to mysupervisor and he trashed me because he said "you need a college degree to do this job". Now I had been doing half of his work and thought we were friends.lol. Anyway I was called upstairs to the CEO's office and he told me what the former supervisor had said. He said that it really didnt sit well with him because little did he know that the CEO didnt go to college either. He said he would try me outand they would interview at the same time. Well im still there almost 3.5 years later.With the $ I could finally afford something better and the mustang was going to be it. But then one day at work Igot a call from my girlfriend saying that myapartment was on fire.My apt burned down and i had no renters insurance. I thought of it as Gods way of saying get off your @ss son. Now 2.5 years later I am a proud homeowner and a proud S-197 owner. This is my first new car and I never thought it would come. I have been in love with the mustangsince I was a little boy and now I have the car of my dreams and a girlfriend who is completely supportive of everything I do and doesnt say anything when I buy all the fun go-fast parts.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 AM
08mustanggt
1st Gear Member

i have always wanted a corvette as far back as i remember,i told my wife when i married her that one day after we raised the 2 kids i wanted to get a corvette,well the kids are grown my bussiness was doing pretty good and had been saving for that corvette,on labor day we went for a drive and passed bill collins ford they had a blue mustang parked out in the front i kept looking back as we passed and almost hit another car as my wife screamed. i kept going on how nice it looked so finally she said lets go look at it,i did a u-turn as soon as the words left her mouth. long story short we test drove an 07 gt i knew as soon as i took my turn(let her go first)i was going to buy one,decided on an 08 vapor colored one the salesman did not even know they had on the lot,i feel like a kid every time i turn the key,it sits in the garage most all the time but when the weathers good she comes to life,my wife has only driven it a couple of times(she just does'nt get it)and thats fine i'd rather keep her in the passenger seat anyways. may still get that corvette one day but for now i'm just enjoying the ride.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:29 AM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

I feel as everyone else does about the new style mustang and all, but my question that I asked a buddy the other day is; what is it about the Mustang body style that is so appealing to us? What makes us turn our heads at the 65-70 Mustang and the 05+ Mustang? There has to be some scientific explaination, because it's the only non-exotic sports car that I can think of that captures so many mens hearts.

-danny
Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

Prior to 2006, I have been on a hunt for a classic mustang. My brother has two: 1965 and 1966. I then remember seeing around 2002 or 2003 the S197 prototype...and it was love at first sight.
Same here TPony. I loved the look of the classic Mustang but in those days I was too young to drive. My neighbor had a '69 Blue Boss Mustang sitting in his driveway that I would just drool over.
When I was in high school my mother bought a '78 Mustang. It was a V8 but just not the same as the '60s Mustangs. I had an '82 GT that I loved but sold it to a car collector four years ago. After looking at the prototype Mustangs, I knew I had to have one! The previous Mustangs before this one ('90's-2004)did nothing for me. I felt they were too small and compact like. Seeing that prototype was like a breathe of fresh air as well as a time warp back to the days when my neighbor had his '69 Boss. It's almost like those of us who grew up in that era were given a second chance to enjoy a true legend!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Reminded me of my old 69 Fastback. I never owned a GT before. About 50 miles into the 125 mile trip to go buy it, we changed our minds from a Ranger to the GT. We're funny like that. Our next car for my wife is going to be one of those clown cars. Mini Cooper.

Quick Reply: Why the s197