Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Goals! Open for Suggestions/Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default New Goals! Open for Suggestions/Opinions.

Well I think I've decided on my next set of goodies. It will take a little while to save the money (without just blowing it all away, I'm fickle with my money I guess) so hopefully then parts may be a little cheaper as well. Estimated 6-12 months, I'll be without the car for over 5 months soon anyway.

So here is the plan, both performance and suspension.

Saleen Watts-Link Second Generation. The reason I picked this is I really like the design of the Watts-link over the Panhard setup. Plus if you consider the cost of upgrading the panhard and all of its components over the Watts-link; the difference in price really isn't much. (Plus comes with a Girdle with drain/fill plugs.)

1 PC Driveshaft, most likely going to go with the 3.5" that brenspeed offers. I don't want to use the "adapter" plate version, so I think their version doesn't have that.

FFRP 3.73s & Detriot Tru-Trac. I figure since I'm upgrading to the Tru-Trac I might as well upgrade the gears; but I don't want to go as low as 4.10s. (3.55 stock, so it'll be a slight improvement in gearing.) The question with this is, is that a low enough gear for aggressive cams, stroker, and high compression? That's a later goal and I want to do things just once.

All of these parts more or less revolve around one another. I can't do the Watts-link without busting open the pumpkin and draining the oil; so I might as well do gears/tru-trac while I'm at it so I don't have to empty the pumpkin more than once... and if I'm taking the driveshaft off to do the gears, I might as well replace that while I'm at it.

I've estimated this at nearly $3000 in parts and some miscellaneous parts added in. It's a lot of money considering I'm not getting all that much but I think it will be worth it. In the long run I can definately see around $20000 in modifications or more... Kinda depressing!