Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers (Yet another set of newb questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

Default Superchargers (Yet another set of newb questions)

With my tax return and my work bonus - I should be able to get a supercharger. I've been looking at the Kenne Bell, Saleen and Whipple - since those are the most talked about around here and seem to all be a good choice. Is the Whipple the same thing as the FRPP one? Talking with my dealer, if they put this on then my warranty will not be voided. How does it compare to the others?

Also, those gauges I see in pictures all over these boards from people with superchargers - do all superchargers have those, or is that something that is optional?

Thansk guys
Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Superchargers (Yet another set of newb questions)

Do you mean these? They cost extra.. Mine are SOS and they ran me $119.. The gauges are autometer cobalts and they ran ~ $320

Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the non IC whipple will retain the warranty but i would get the HO kit bc it has more potential for power and it runs better w/ the IC. the saleen and KB are great SC too.
if you want to upgrade to the HO from the 400 hp kit it costs more to do it seperately.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Do you mean these? They cost extra.. Mine are SOS and they ran me $119.. The gauges are autometer cobalts and they ran ~ $320
Those are exactly what I was talking about, thanks for the info. What do they show you? Is it somehting I really want, or is it more just nice to have?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

the non IC whipple will retain the warranty but i would get the HO kit bc it has more potential for power and it runs better w/ the IC. the saleen and KB are great SC too.
if you want to upgrade to the HO from the 400 hp kit it costs more to do it seperately.
Thats what I wanted to know - thanks. I guess what I need to figure out then is if the cost difference is worth being able to keep the warranty for me. I have an 07 that has over 4 years left on the warranty. So I may end up getting the one that has the warranty, then upgrading later when the warranty is gone / about to go.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/05%2B...%20panels.html

The one gauge is fuel pressure and the other is boost/vacuum These are important for knowing how well your car is running. You need them just because you want some sort of indication how things are going.

ORIGINAL: Kamalyn

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Those are exactly what I was talking about, thanks for the info. What do they show you? Is it somehting I really want, or is it more just nice to have?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

The non-intercooled whipple only gives you a 1 year warranty. Not really worth it in my opinion. I would get the HO as I believe it is the best but I am biased.

As far as warranties go if you broke a part once with the power you are making another stock one is going to break too so why not buy something that wont break?

And for non powertrain stuff adding a supercharger does not VOID your warranty. If you power windows stop working they have to fix that. Read the Magnusson Act it is all in there.

But if you really want a warranty super bad then get a saleen installed at a speedlab like Brenspeed. You will pay more for less power but they will warranty the power train.

Honestly once you start looking into forced induction you shouldnt worry about your powertrain warranty. I will skip to the end for you, you will break something. You adding about 200hpthat the car wasnt designed to hold. But if you are nice to it, it will run for a long time but you are stressing parts outside of thier design.

You have to pay to play.

Good luck though, Life is all about risk and reward. Having a S/C is defineatly worth it.

Whipple FTW.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

But if you really want a warranty super bad then get a saleen installed at a speedlab like Brenspeed.
Yep, that's my vote. Very reliable, and easy to upgrade once the warranty is over.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Well, if you're going to go with forced induction, your best bet is to just wave goodbye to your powertrain warranty. Otherwise, the power you'll gain isn't worth the cost in my opinion. I struggled with a choice between the whipple, KB, and saleen for over a year before I chose the whipple. The KBs I've seen tend to have issues with heat soak (enter KB owners vigorousy defending their superchargers) and the saleen simply doesn't have the potential of the KB or whipple (enter EXX defending the saleen). I'm not saying that any of the three are a bad choice, but the whipple HO simply offers the best bang for the buck.

As for the gauges, you have to buy them seperately. The two gauges that I consider a MUST with any form of forced induction are a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. A boost gauge is also useful but not nearly as important as the other two. I went with a speed of sound triple pod pillar and autometer ultralite gauges for accuracy and cost (electric 100psi fuel pressure, wideband air/fuel, and electric 15psi boost). Some people swear that mechanical boost gauges are "more responsive", but this is simply a myth. The sending unit for the electric gauge uses the same sensor that is found in the mechanical gauge housing. The mechanical boost gauge advantage is that it is cheaper, but you have to run a small vacuum line through the firewall without kinking it, which can be tedious.

Whatever you decide, good luck! And don't be afraid to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions. Ive personally installed the whipple HO and all of the aforementioned gauges and don't mind helping if you run into trouble.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

True. I went overbudget because of gauges. All in all I'm happy and no matter what you get you should be. The whipple is king right now and believe me everybody is listening to our posts here and in other forums. I tried to call KB with questions about their setup and their customer service simply sucks. I have a KB's lightning and I've considered ripping that sob off just because several times. Not to slam them but just ranting..
Hellion was my second choice..Jeff was extremely helpful and I still kinda want a turbo but later on.. Finally Jared at Lethal was the best in my endeavor just because I bugged him to death and he mantained his composure and won my business just on knowledge with my whipple.
The HO kit is what you want but that pretty little warranty will go...

Quick Reply: Superchargers (Yet another set of newb questions)