Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird smell in exhaust, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

Default RE: weird smell in exhaust, whats wrong?

ORIGINAL: The Potato

...are you smelling your exhaust? Isn't that dangerous??
you can smell it from the front of the car. i knew it was the exhaust when i put my hand infront of the pipe for a few seconds then sniffed my hand. smelt like rotten eggs.

i was planning on the high flows. im not looking to get a headach whenever i drive.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

When you get on a car and open her up..(even if it is merging onto the highway) you can get the smell you described. I do not think it is in any way that your CATS are going bad.....they get build up and then the increased heat from the exhaust gases when getting on her or WOT runs etc will burn off the build up that maybe in the CATS....far as I am concerned you are fine and they are working and doing the job they are supposed to... JMO though and hopefully someone else will chime in on this before you spend money on a mod you might not need (unless you want an excuse to do so then go for it!)...... J
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
tealfastback69
1st Gear Member

My dad has a new 08 super duty with the diesel. he noticed when he went to drive it one morning that the exhaust smelled like sulfur and rotten eggs. he said that someone had opened the gas cap and might have poured somehting inside it. so he emptied the tank and filled it with new fuel and the smell went away shortly.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Could be the gas, did you go to somewhere different recently?
The cats are warrantied up until 80k. If you want to go that route.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

The first thing I got for my car was a gas tank lock, someone might of put something in your tank. Might want to get that checked out.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:49 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

it might of been the gas... i HAD to fill up at lukoil [:'(]ill see if it goes away. that tank of lukoil gas is gone. ill give it some more time.

mygt500 the car wasnt running for more then.... min when i noticed the smell... it was early and it was at idol in a wawa parking lot. but like i said ill give her some time before i get the slp xpipe.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 AM
07torchgt
2nd Gear Member

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE... i noticed this the other day and i don't even have 25k on her, but i do have slp lm's. i did only notice it once tho; it went away.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Keep us posted and have you thrown any codes?....if not I feel you are fine but I am not a mechanic so take it for what its worth! J
ORIGINAL: brendend

it might of been the gas... i HAD to fill up at lukoil [:'(]ill see if it goes away. that tank of lukoil gas is gone. ill give it some more time.

mygt500 the car wasnt running for more then.... min when i noticed the smell... it was early and it was at idol in a wawa parking lot. but like i said ill give her some time before i get the slp xpipe.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:12 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Its the cats. But to throw a curveball: I had a dieing computer in my eagle talon give off an egg smell too back in the day.

Anyways, my '05 with 26K is giving an egg smell at WOT.

A number of things can cause dead cats early... like a rich mixture for one thing, or a driver who doesn't run WOT enough to burn off the extra crud and runs <1500rpms a lot of the time.

Also, an exhaust leak ahead of the cats can give an egg smell.

I had a rich tune before, and bad soot inside my SLP loudmouths, so maybe that damaged my cats.

Ford lists a cat at $1700. Huh? They don't mention if its for both, or with the midpipe included, since its all one piece. Don't buy that, yikes. Any cat can be welded up there. Check out brenspeed's Bassani X-pipe with 2 high flow cats for $380.

Also, realize that if your cats die then youll just experience what anyone on here running an off-road pipe experiences, which is rotten raw unburnt exhaust fumes. They're all still alive. Just make sure you get it fixed before inspection time.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I blew my cats out of my mufflers at only +/- 20,000 miles....so, expect the unexpected

Quick Reply: weird smell in exhaust, whats wrong?