Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang and California...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 AM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang and California...

I'm currently stationed in Guam, where I could do whatever I want to my car...however, I'm probably getting stationed in California after here, and was wondering what mods, if any, some of yall have that live in California. My next couple of mods will probalby be UDP/COPS/Line Locks. The only ones I'm worried about are the first 2, and passing emissions. I was told that there is something called RXP that you put in your gas tank that helps with emissions, but I'd like to know the truth from some people that live in CA...
Old 03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang and California...

First, what is your home of record? I used my parents address which was in FLA, and had my license from there. It allow me to keep my Fla plates in California. No emission's what so ever. Where in Calif are you getting stationed? PM me if you have any other questions...
Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

cali has he strictest laws ive ever experienced

line locks are bad, i know that for sure, unless you dont plan on driving it on public roads

cai is fine as long as you get the right tune for it

you should check with ur dept in cali and see what they have to say
Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Do not remove or alter the placemenct of the CATS...if you do keep your OEM midpipe forspection tim.
You can get cited for exhaust noise but that is usually reserved for the ricers and those fart cans.
can't lower it too far, but that is really only enforced if you are at or near a known street racing venue
no tint on the front door windows or windsheild...sometimes you can get away with the lighter tint but always remember having tint is just another tool for the man to stop you.
No longtubes because they don't have carb number
Make sure your car has Ca. emissions and doesn't say it can not be registered in Ca.
New cars have 6 years before they have to be smogged but since you are coming from out of state check here but I am sure you will need an initial check.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm
Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
05Saleen#243
3rd Gear Member

whatever you don't get an offroad mid pipe. where other states have DUI checkpoints, in cali we have emissions checkpoints where they put your car up on a trailer with rollers and see if it passes the stinky test. most cops don't know that long tubers are illegal so you should be safe if you go that route. other than that you should be fine.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

no way cai is illegal in any way. really? i thought dealers just voided the warranty if you tamper with it.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:52 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Man, why would anyone want to live is Cali is beyond me, the vehicle and traffic laws are insane.
Not to mention that every where you go it is over crowded, the cost of living is insanely high, and ever other year there is a threat of the damn state breaking off into the ocean.
The weather can't be that nice to offset the cons...LOL no thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Well, here are my choices for duty stations:
Japan (BTDT)
Washington State (BTDT, hate the weather)
California
Virginia (TOO CLOSE TO DC...politics...)

Thats why California.
If I could get my car delivered to TX, I could deal with that, but I'd have 4 years of dealing with CA checkpoints and the like...just trying to get a feel for it...
Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

I have been driving in Ca. since 95 when I got stationed here and I have yet to get stopped at a checkpoint where they are looking for Mods. I am a Cop in Cali and they have them but they only come to areas known to be street racing or cruising spots and they usually want to target the ricers.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 PM
05Saleen#243
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

Man, why would anyone want to live is Cali is beyond me, the vehicle and traffic laws are insane.
Not to mention that every where you go it is over crowded, the cost of living is insanely high, and ever other year there is a threat of the damn state breaking off into the ocean.
The weather can't be that nice to offset the cons...LOL no thanks.
you'd be surprised

Quick Reply: Mustang and California...