Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment question, front AND rear or just front.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Default Alignment question, front AND rear or just front.

Some of you may know I've been working on my car the last couple weeks (limited time due to work).The rear end of the car is complete, with the exception of checking and adjusting the pinion angle for the Shaftmasters aluminum drive shaft. I'm finishing the drive shaft here soon. The front end is next. I rear got BMR solid UCA, adjustable lowers with relocation brackets, a adjustable panhard with brace, springs and D-specs.

I know when I do the the front springs and struts, I will need to get the front end aligned. What about the rear?? When I replaced the LCA, I set the length to the factory length by placing them next to each other and inserting the bolt in the holes, and temporarily tightened the nut. Did the same thing with the panhard bar. Will this be an accurate enough measurement for the rear axle to be straight/centered in the car? Is there any reference points I could pull accurate measurements to show how close the rear end is to being straight? Definitely don't want to be driving down the road with a crooked axle. I do know it's hard to find a good shop that actually does alignment on solid axles.

Thanks

Mike

Edit: Also going to mention I got front and rear sway bars. I bought the Steeda upper strut mount for the d-specs.

Installing the rear UCA bushing was a mother-chucker. I was ready to kill myself (not literally), until my dad borrowed the "Tiger Tool" from the shop he works at. I fought that thing for a couple hours for three days straight. Bought a new bushing from Ford, cleaned the rubber out of it, and the Tiger Tool popped the new bushing in like a hot knife through butter.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Alignment question, front AND rear or just front.

Well I believe with the one piece shaft you need to measure the pinion angle with the shaft removed. Once the proper pinion angle is set the only thing will be to adjust the panhard for the center of the axle. This can be done by the alignment shop if you tell them about it.
Or you can get the ole plum bob out and hang from each rear wheel well drop center to the center cap on the wheel and adjust it until you see that its center.
Then let the pros do the front.
Make any sense?
Also you may need camber bolts to correct the front camber after lowering.

I will be doing mine hopefully next week.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:25 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Oh yeah, I got the camber bolts as well.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Me too. just got em today, 11.50ea from napa.

Just waiting on the UCA and LCA relocation brackets.
Steeda Bump Steer kit just got here as I was typing.